Skip to main content
Topic: Buying a Bird, let me know if you think its worth it. (Read 2161 times) previous topic - next topic

Buying a Bird, let me know if you think its worth it.

So I need something that gets better milage and my Dad wants to get rid of his 96 bird. Its garage kept and has like 70k miles on it or less. Its in perfect shape mechanically. Let me know what you think it would be worth. I'll put his price below the pic so you can tell me nice price or try to haggle. Its v6 auto, all options -sun roof if they did them this year. Has Sandle wood or floral or some other fruity sounding interior (its brown with pink and blue swirls in it).

$2500, which seems fair.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Reply #1
why doesn't he just give it to you?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2
Yaaa.... Dad doesn't work that way.

I asked him about what he wanted hoping he'd be like, oh well have it fairly cheap, didn't happen.

Can't say Dad has ever "given" me anything. Which is fine makes your appreciate stuff more if you pay for it. So long and short good buy or should I look for something else. I really miss my old bird that was this exact color but had a 4.6 in it.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Reply #3
I've had my MN12 for eight years and I still love it. I would prefer the 4.6 if I were in your shoes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #4
Buy it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
Looks like a bargin to me.

Reply #6
Agreed, and you're at an advantage because you actually know the car's history, not just hearsay from a previous owner. Great deal for it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #7
Well, I tend to agree with Vinnie's point...be a decent car, as long as you don't intend to do any stoplight Grand Prix events with it lol.

I don't care much for the MN12's myself, but I find myself longing for a '97 V8 'Bird for some reason.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #8
MN12's look good and ride good. 4.6 vs 3.8 I would rather have the 3.8. Sure you may have to replace head gaskets a few times, but 4.6 will start to burn oil after 150,000 miles. Taking heads off of a 4.6 is not my idea of fun either. Overhead cam makes it a PITA. Time it wrong and it will chew up its own valves.

Reply #9
Cool thanks for all the replies. I was thinking it'd be worth it but wanted second and third opinions.

Reply #10
Quote from: Chrome;378873
MN12's look good and ride good. 4.6 vs 3.8 I would rather have the 3.8. Sure you may have to replace head gaskets a few times, but 4.6 will start to burn oil after 150,000 miles. Taking heads off of a 4.6 is not my idea of fun either. Overhead cam makes it a PITA. Time it wrong and it will chew up its own valves.

I had a 95 3.8 T-bird. It was slow. I would have rather dealt with the oil burning 4.6....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #11
The 4.6 in a mn-12 is about the same speed as a 5.0 s.o. in a 86-88 cougar. I'd much rather have a 86-88 for the same money.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #12
Actually, the '96 and '97 4.6 had 215 hp stock. My car has a Traction-Lok 3.27 rear end from the factory. After adding a tune and exhaust, my '96 would have blown the doors off my '88 XR7 with the 5.0.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #13
Sorry, but it hate those things.  Big tubs of lard they are and plain ugly. You could find a nice fox body bird for sale on this board for MUCH less.

Reply #14
Quote from: cougarcragar;379035
Actually, the '96 and '97 4.6 had 215 hp stock. My car has a Traction-Lok 3.27 rear end from the factory. After adding a tune and exhaust, my '96 would have blown the doors off my '88 XR7 with the 5.0.

Put the same money into an 88xr7 as your tune and exhaust, and it would blow the doors off yours. The 4.6 just isn't matched good for such a heavy car. My 88 crown vic wagon keeps up with a 2001 gt till 30mph. There's just sit there until they get moving. Not bad when they do get going though. Its funny watching my station wagon bark the tires and pull right along with a mustang. Once you hit 30mph, the mustang takes off though.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com