Skip to main content
Topic: A Lil' Love For Us (Read 4483 times) previous topic - next topic

A Lil' Love For Us

Reply #15
Ummm my TC is still fairly tight and has over 140K mi, along with around 700 drag strip passes on totally orig suspension, no bumps, clunks or rattles...

A Lil' Love For Us

Reply #16
don't worry... all cars rust to nothing in Buffalo. my new van was rusting after 1 year. My lincoln has rust, my 05 ranger is totally rusted underneath with 6000 miles on it...
bring it here, I can kill it fast after 1 winter
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

A Lil' Love For Us

Reply #17
and my cougar didn't have a rattle or squeak ever. drove like a tank
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

A Lil' Love For Us

Reply #18
Quote from: daminc;378308
don't worry... all cars rust to nothing in Buffalo. my new van was rusting after 1 year. My lincoln has rust, my 05 ranger is totally rusted underneath with 6000 miles on it...
bring it here, I can kill it fast after 1 winter

Sounds like a great place to be FROM...

A Lil' Love For Us

Reply #19
That's the problem ANYTHING is gonna rust in the right environment lol. The salt probably tends to "sandblast" the paint right off!
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

A Lil' Love For Us

Reply #20
Clai
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

A Lil' Love For Us

Reply #21
Act
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

A Lil' Love For Us

Reply #22
Quote from: TOM Renzo;378298

Here is a late model GTI getting a new radiator. Tell me the new cars are easy to work on . Cougar 2 Go is 100% correct. This is what the new cars are like to work on.

Note this is not a collison repair it is a radiator replacement. 600 bucks + parts!!!!!

Ahh yes, been there done that. As the only guy in our shop who isn't afraid to work on Eurojunk I've been there far too many times, in fact. I wish I still had the pics of when I had to install two turbochargers in a 2002 Audi A6 quattro 2.7. I had to remove the entire front end, THEN I had to remove the entire front subframe with the drivetrain and exhaust system still attached, and even then, with the engine/trans sitting on a stand, it was STILL a huge pain in the ass to get at those turbos. It was an 18 hour flat-rate job. 18 hours at $105/hour, plus $3500 worth of turbochargers. On a car you MIGHT fetch $5k for, if it was in perfect shape (this one wasn't).

With those VW's with the longitudinal engines (Passat, A4, A6, etc) you also have to remove the front end (VW calls it the "Lock carrier") to replace timing belts. With just about any VW, whether longitudinal or transverse engine, you need to do it to access the radiator, A/C condenser, etc. One thing is good, though - at least they use flexible A/C hoses, so you can swing it out of the way without cracking the A/C system open.

As for 80's cars: It's easy to look at a car with 30 years under its belt and call it flimsy. Indeed, when I put my T-Bird back on the road after having it garaged for two years I actually laughed the first time I used the wipers, at how flimsy they looked. Probably 90% of the perception of "quality" is in the look and feel of the materials. It's nothing whatsoever to do with how well the car is made, it's how it looks and feels. Actual quality/durability has nothing to do with it. Witness the fact that everyone wants soft-touch materials inside their car instead of hard plastic, and then look at the soft-touch dash of a mid 80's Thundercat that has seen some sun and then wonder how good an idea this may be. It's also easy to look at a car that weighed ~3500 pounds and call it flimsy when a modern version of the car would likely weigh upwards of two tons. We'll just see how well the new cars look after 30 years. All I know is that I walked away from my '88 Cougar after bouncing it back and forth between a guard rail and an 18 wheeler without a scratch. Also without airbags, exploding seat belts, etc. That was not a "flimsy" car...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

A Lil' Love For Us

Reply #23
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;378315
All I know is that I walked away from my '88 Cougar after bouncing it back and forth between a guard rail and an 18 wheeler without a scratch. Also without airbags, exploding seat belts, etc. That was not a "flimsy" car...

Quoted for truth and badassness lol.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

A Lil' Love For Us

Reply #24
Thu

A Lil' Love For Us

Reply #25
Quote from: EricCoolCats;378249
Remember that the author has likely never owned one of our cars. It's easy to be an armchair critic on that there Internets. ;)

Still, the subpar quality of the steel used in all 1980s cars qualifies as 'flimsy construction' in my book. Had waaaayyyyy too much experience with that in the last 25 years.
One cannot tell me that the door panels are not flimsy.
Fox seat backs. Sit down, do they not twist?
Hath the console latch withered the test of time?
Do seat belt receptacles not expose their fragile innards?
Oh, the arrow of time...curses unto thee.

See I've never had any of the above happen with my T-bird. Maybe I'm just lucky but I think it has to do with how the car was maintained over it's existence.

Quote from: ZondaC12;378303
As Eric said, armchair criticism is what's going on in that article, and a LOT of it.

I used to get aggravated with the red car, it felt like a rattle trap, especially up front. Nothing "looked" bad though, and I've learned a lot since then. I figured that's how they were built. Then I bought the black car and test drove that around the guy's neighborhood and almost ped myself. There's nothing else to say. Tight and quiet as any nice brand new vehicle. It has....maximum motorsports C/C plates. Big whoop? The rest of the suspension is original...I think maybe poly bushings or just NEW bushings all around, but there you go. And 100k on the thing. Never hit a pothole in its life maybe? Idunnfrickinknow but obviously it's capable of being like that. I'm excited to see what the red car does once it's back together and I freshen the whole front end.

Thunderjet302 said he did that and his front end is quiet as a mouse too. What are others' experiences? This doesn't get generally thrown out there a whole lot (I feel like it anyway lol)

Mine was quiet and tight up till about two years ago. Then the driver's side lower control arm started to squeak at about 129000 miles. I did not like this. I knew the bushings had to be replaced so I just went nuts and replaced every rubber bushing in the front end. The car rode slightly better and the squeak was gone. The car feels tight like a new car, and feels even tighter since I had the subframe connectors welded in last year. I would say that it rides just as good if not better than the '11 Focus or the '12 Mustang.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

A Lil' Love For Us

Reply #26
"the oddly-formal Cougar."

You know, I think there is a better word for that.  It's called "CLASSY."  Ha.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Lil' Love For Us

Reply #27
(post removed)
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

A Lil' Love For Us

Reply #28
The Mustang GT only got a C+ for collectibility. Those cars have a huge following!

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

A Lil' Love For Us

Reply #29
BeO