Skip to main content
Topic: ECM's Rev Limiter? (Read 615 times) previous topic - next topic

ECM's Rev Limiter?

I was just reading the "TFS Stage 1 Cam" thread and read Tom's comment about fuel cut out at 6250 RPM's.  I didn't think our ECM's had a rev limiter function.  If they do, does the ECM kill injector pulses so that cylinders are skipped; limiting the RPM's?  I'm just trying to understand how this "fuel cut" function he mentioned works.

Obviously, aftermarket rev limiters skip ignition pulses to limit RPM's.
William

ECM's Rev Limiter?

Reply #1
Theoredically, the stock computer can only compute up to 6800rpm's, but the cut off is near 6200rpm's. 6250 sounds about right.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

ECM's Rev Limiter?

Reply #2
Hmm...  Learn something every day.  I though just like carbed engines will keep on accelerating and blow up if you don't let off the gas pedal, our computer-controlled engines would too.  That's good to know that's not true.
William