Skip to main content
Topic: No picture, but new lers..... (Read 2091 times) previous topic - next topic

No picture, but new lers.....

I took the Sport down to the ler shop today and had new stainless Dynomax lers welded on. A LOT better than the wicked loud Flowmasters that were on there. Nice deep tone, and I can actually hear a lot better in the cabin now. Nothing much happening other than that right now. Just thought I'd share a little today.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #1
Oh, and as soon as I have the time to go to the next town over to pick up the steel, I'm having the subframe connectors welded in.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
Are you using just straight metal stock?  Im meaning to do this also.
Mike

Reply #3
Quote from: mcb82gt;378029
Are you using just straight metal stock?  Im meaning to do this also.

that's all you really need
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #4
Yes. As soon as I can get it done....meaning a month or so probably. The steel will cost me $16.00, and the guy told me around $30-$40 to weld it for me. Not too bad. The steel is 1"x2" rectangle tubing.

Reply #5
Quote from: vinnietbird;378013
I took the Sport down to the ler shop today and had new stainless Dynomax lers welded on. A LOT better than the wicked loud Flowmasters that were on there. Nice deep tone, and I can actually hear a lot better in the cabin now. Nothing much happening other than that right now. Just thought I'd share a little today.
I had Flowmasters on my 96 Cougar. Highway driving was not pleasant. After a while the insides started to rust out an it got way worse. They work great on my truck. I may go with Dynomax on my Bird. If you like them most likely I will too. I believe Flowmasters are just not a good choice for cars.

Reply #6
I LOVE to hear the Flowmasters when I start the ol' girl up each day, but actual driving, especially for any real distance was draining. I didn't like having to raise my voice when I talked all the time, and it drowned out the radio and anything else. Intimidating? yes, but not worth it to me. I'm trying to keep the car as performance oriented as I can, while at the same time, comfortable for all driving. An all around ,high purpose car.

Reply #7
Quote from: vinnietbird;378057
I LOVE to hear the Flowmasters when I start the ol' girl up each day, but actual driving, especially for any real distance was draining. I didn't like having to raise my voice when I talked all the time, and it drowned out the radio and anything else. Intimidating? yes, but not worth it to me. I'm trying to keep the car as performance oriented as I can, while at the same time, comfortable for all driving. An all around ,high purpose car.
I agree totally. Flowmasters sound great as long as U are not in the car driving somewhere. I would prefer a little more quiet, but not with the performance loss. Has to have a little rumble.

Reply #8
These Dynomax lers have a nice deep tone, straight through design, yet still maintain a level of quiet that allows me to hear other noises besides the exhaust. I loved it when I was 17, but now, not so much. Need power and comfort. Yes, you really can have both.

Reply #9
Flowmasters are awesome as long as its not your car. They sound great but you dont want to hear it all the time. Im really tired of mine. When I get my exhaust redone Im getting magnaflows.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #10
I love the sound of my flow masters, especially with the exhaust pulses being delivered in perfect order thanks to equal length primaries, but i'v heard that they are not that great for performance. I found a lot of people on other forums saying they made drastic improvements switching from flomasters to magnaflows. Im thinking about doing the same. I just bought one for my maxima. Gonna see how it sounds before i buy 2 for the bird.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Reply #11
Flowmasters sound great outside of the car. It's the inside of the car that's the problem. I have experianced a terrible drone sound at highway speed. Its almost like you have solid hangers instead of flexible ones. You have to speak louder to talk to people and it comes over any music that you are trying to hear.

Reply #12
i haven't used a flowmaster in yeeeaaaarrrrrssss.. i haven't installed any, either.. i tend to talk people out of using them, because of the drone.. on my playtoys, i use dynomax race bullets, which you would think are a lot louder, since they're a small, short, straight-through design.. but they sound great with much, much less droning at highway/cruising speeds.. a while ago, i did figure out that taking a single in, dual out flowmaster and making it a dual in/dual out reduces droning a bit and has a mean sound out the tailpipes.. performance wise, it's not too bad either, as it sort of acts like a secondary h-pipe of sorts
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #13
I'm pretty pleased with the sound the Sport has now. Nice and mild at idle, louder when you mash the skinny pedal, but not deafening. Got a few more plans in store for the Sport in the days to come. Just trying something different and functional.

Reply #14
Just keep workin on it Vinnie. It gives us somthing to talk about! Just include some pics!