Skip to main content
Topic: Would this place be outlawed... (Read 1637 times) previous topic - next topic

Would this place be outlawed...

if the Feds push the SOPA thing through?
(Not a political thread, just wondering if the scope of the proposal would affect a bunch of automotive hobbyists who happen to communicate via an online forum..)

Admittedly, I haven't read very far into it, but even my limited political awareness can tell that if google, wikipedia, and god-knows-what-else becomes blanked out, then seriously, we have a huge problem that goes beyond mere economics. :toilet:

So, I reiterate: are we in danger if that...shiznit goes through?
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #1
No, they'll just make any youtube video's that show the shape of an object that has been copyrighted illegal.

Don't take pictures of your own car.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;377979
if the Feds push the SOPA thing through?
(Not a political thread, just wondering if the scope of the proposal would affect a bunch of automotive hobbyists who happen to communicate via an online forum..)

Admittedly, I haven't read very far into it, but even my limited political awareness can tell that if google, wikipedia, and god-knows-what-else becomes blanked out, then seriously, we have a huge problem that goes beyond mere economics. :toilet:

So, I reiterate: are we in danger if that...shiznit goes through?

Anything can happen and it's certainly not out of the question. Government control over complete censorship of the internet is an awful, disgusting idea.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #3
“China, the government, can disconnect its Internet—we need to have that here too.” -Senator Joe Lieberman

Our government wants to control the internet so they can censor anyone who is critical of them. 

Corporations want control of the internet (through their bought and paid for representatives in Washington) so they can montetize everything.

SOPA just gets the ball rolling.
1990 Mark VII LSC
1990 Mark VII LSC SE
1969 Cougar 351W

Reply #4
I actually emailed my representatives this morning to urge them not to support SOPA and PIPA.  If this legislation passes and Craigslist and similar sites disappear, that would be bad, bad news.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #5
It'll be bad news if it passes period.
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #6
i have a feeling it would escalate to all types of social networks.. forums, unfortunately, do fall into that category, to a degree.. what i don't understand is.. comcast was listed as 1 of the SOPA/PIPA supporters.. don't they realize if people are losing such things as social networking sites, search engines, etc etc, people are going to drop their internet service and say "F*CK YOU!?" i know i certainly would, if forums were phased out
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #7
Maybe on the internet side of things, but on the cable TV side I think Comcast definitely stands to benefit if this thing passes.  When the internet is wide-open people can watch stuff online for free.  When the internet is restricted people have to pay Comcast to watch stuff.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
SOPA has been shelved for now.  Keep watching for something like this in the future.  They will try again.

We were fortunate that some corporations finally came out against this legislation.  Even thought the majority of private citizens opposed this bill from the start, Washington was going to proceed anyway.  It was only the pressure from some of their big doners that stopped this.  Sad.
1990 Mark VII LSC
1990 Mark VII LSC SE
1969 Cougar 351W

Reply #9
Well that's good news for now.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #10
You can bet your arse they'll change it a little, call it something else, and ram it through again once the public's attention has waned. Big corporations have paid big money to buy the government, and they will want value for that money. It would be good if people continued to pay attention to this...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #11
This was round 2 i think already. Either way, it's an ongoing thing and it's not going to go away. It's the same as gun grabbing attacks from the left and has probably just as potential to be just as devastating. For those of you not paying attention, over the month you lost your right to due process.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #12
What has me mind-fvcked over it all...there are far more important issues at hand...and we gotta control the internet, too?!
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #13
why am i not surprised that a simple 'no way' from a few big time corperations, halted the SOPA garbage? hmmm.. i bet money was involved!
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #14
It wasn't the "no way" that turned the tide, it was the general public suddenly becoming aware of what big money was paying the government to force onto them. The whole blackout thing was to raise awareness. A few weeks ago most people didn't even know what SOPA and PIPA were (in all honesty they still don't, but they know it's bad), but thanks to Wikipedia, google, et al, it became a very public issue.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣