Skip to main content
Topic: Cylinder Heads Questions (Read 2386 times) previous topic - next topic

Cylinder Heads Questions

Reply #15
Yeah as far as piston to valve clearance I'm starting with seasoned 302 roller block that needs bored so I planned on a flat top with valve reliefs.

I guess I'll have to do some research on a port job since I've always thought that it was a complicated thing.

Cylinder Heads Questions

Reply #16
porting is easy.. it only gets a little more involved if you try to copy a professional's work or try maxing out the port size..
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Cylinder Heads Questions

Reply #17
I was reading and a basic porting is just taking off rough edges and smoothing out the runners. So I'll probably just clean up the runners, and hopefully smooth out any poor casting mess.

Cylinder Heads Questions

Reply #18
you can go a bit further than that.. while that will increase power, the gain will be so slight, you'll never notice an ounce of difference.. i attended joe mondello's tech school before my senior year of high school, where they have a 'cylinder head porting course'.. they teach you all the in's and out's of porting.. most of the noticeable portwork comes from behind the valves.. mostly grinding the edges of the material that surrounds the valve guide.. that, along with opening up the port size throughout the runners, to increase the flow.. the most power, in my experience with P heads, is opening the exhaust ports up a pretty decent amount.. i have a picture of my before and after 306's p-heads somewhere.. i'll post them up so you can see how far i went, if i can find them

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Cylinder Heads Questions

Reply #19
Great that would be a huge help. The 306 I'm buying parts for should blow my SO 5.0 away. I'm tempted on doing a chasis dyno pull on my stock motor then do another after the install. Could be interesting to see the difference.

Cylinder Heads Questions

Reply #20
i also took a polishing stone to the combustion chambers to remove any of the casting slag.. it's not something you want to get too carried away with, just a little polishing and walk away..

stock exhaust ports, followed by how i ported them.. i opened them up to match the primaries on the headers i'm currently building.. i took more off the bottom than the top, because i get better results with them ported that way, because of the way i ported the bottom side of the exhaust runner

Cylinder Heads Questions

Reply #21
what cam are you gonna use in it? and are u putting in cut pistons,  flattops could cause a valve clearance issue

Cylinder Heads Questions

Reply #22
who, me? or the OP? my 306 has KB FHR's in it, so i'm good for a pretty GIANT cam :)