Skip to main content
Topic: Cylinder Heads Questions (Read 2387 times) previous topic - next topic

Cylinder Heads Questions

On my 88 SO 5.0 I've been told the heads are an E6 head. I found a fresh set of E7 heads for $100. Are they worth the upgrade if I'm just putting together a mild 306? I planned on a decent camshaft, probably like a Motorsports E-cam. What I've seen online people are saying E6 and E7 heads are equally junk. If I should go with better aftermarket heads then I'll just have to save up.

Cylinder Heads Questions

Reply #1
I think you cant go wrong with gt 40p heads and this can be found at ur local junk yard on 98 explore and at the same time you can get the upper and lower intake to go with them. Yuo cant go wrong with the E-cam nice choice

Cylinder Heads Questions

Reply #2
I thought I remember seeing that GT-40p heads need a special header. Is that right? That's why I quit looking at the Explorer stuff.

Cylinder Heads Questions

Reply #3
Lot of needless confusion here.

E7 heads ARE an improvement over the E6 heads....that's why Ford used them on trucks and Mustangs in 1987 on (hence the E7 moniker).

Now, if you can find a set of used, but good GT40 heads, by all means, throw 'em on. I wouldn't pay more than 100 bucks for a set of E7, and if they needed work, I wouldn't even pay that.

Now, the GT40 P heads *might* require a different header because of spark plug angle issues, although I've heard and read that some guys have no issues either way..guess it depends on your aptitude in changing spark plugs. Some swivel or flex sockets are a must.

You can also search this...it's been beat to death :)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Cylinder Heads Questions

Reply #4
you can take the headers right off the explore all in one package and be ready to go if need be but thunderbird sport is right some guys dont have a issue at all

Cylinder Heads Questions

Reply #5
i've heard numerous accounts of people using BBK shortys with zero issues on the p-heads.. the only real issue is the driver side head, because the plug is 'behind' the exhaust port (picture below).. on the passenger side, the plugs are in 'front' of the exhaust port.. so with most headers sweeping back, towards the firewall, the passenger side almost always clears fine..

it's kind of funny we're talking about p-heads though.. i was just at a junkyard in dover, de that has 6, YES, 6 V8 exploders with the GT40p's and the intakes still nestled under the hood

ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Cylinder Heads Questions

Reply #6
Quote from: blackfox000;376670
you can take the headers right off the explore all in one package and be ready to go if need be but thunderbird sport is right some guys dont have a issue at all

the headers are a bit hard to find.. a lot of them had stupid cast manifolds.. they're the only 1's i'm ever able to find >:l

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Cylinder Heads Questions

Reply #7
MAC makes a set or so I've read. But I might say screw it and just make a set work. Not like I haven't had a pain in the but car to work on. :welder:

Cylinder Heads Questions

Reply #8
if you c00ch up a set of p heads, i recommend porting them.. especially on the exhaust side.. they're 1 of ford's best small block heads, but they still leave a lot of room for improvement.. nothing a dremel can't fix, though

Cylinder Heads Questions

Reply #9
Figure I'd gasket match them at the very least no matter what heads I use.

Cylinder Heads Questions

Reply #10
I just found a set of rebuilt GT40p heads for $350 for the set. Guess I got a decision to make.

Cylinder Heads Questions

Reply #11
gasket matching isn't all that great, since it typically makes a 'balloon' in the intake runner.. it pays to pop the valves out and do a full port job, especially right behind the valves.. there's a lot to be gained by a full port job, little to be gained by gasket matching

Cylinder Heads Questions

Reply #12
Yeah I haven't heard of any quality machine shops around here anymore. So I'm just gonna have to do what I'm able.

Cylinder Heads Questions

Reply #13
Here's an FYI:

The stock 5.0 SO pistons are flat tops and do not have any valve reliefs. The valves on the GT40P heads will hit the pistons in a 5.0 SO block because the valves are 1.84" vs. 1.78 on the E6 and E7 heads. You'll have to use new pistons or fly-cut the stock ones.

I'm running GT40P heads with the FRPP Fox-body shorty headers. They fit fine and you can get to the plugs easily.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Cylinder Heads Questions

Reply #14
Quote from: StrokerBird;376691
I just found a set of rebuilt GT40p heads for $350 for the set. Guess I got a decision to make.

a monkey can do a full port job lol it's easy to do, you just have to pay attention, take your time (which is easy because they're cast iron, not aluminum) and measure your work