Skip to main content
Topic: 84 tbird turbo coupe popping through TB (Read 946 times) previous topic - next topic

84 tbird turbo coupe popping through TB

Last week i bought an 84 tbird turbo off a friend of mine. Back in sept he was driving it and it jumped time on him pulling into his neighborhood. He didnt drive it maybe 200 yards after it jumped time but he changed the timing belt and reset the timing and it was popping them too, after 3 tries at resetting the timing he gave up. I think the timing is still off. Above 45-50mph the car runs smooth and doesnt miss or hesitate but at lower gears it does miss and hesitate some. The popping sound only occurs around idle. He told me he changed the plugs and wires too. Any ideas what it could be??

here is a couple videos....the audio quality isint that great but you should be able to hear the popping sound

just idling

idling then increasing rpm's

Reply #1
Have you verified that cam timing is correct or not? I'd start with that. What plug wires are those? The best thing I did for my 2.3T was pick up a set of genuine Motorcraft wires.
Don't neglect the basics. Check fuel pressure, ignition timing, compression, and I would also thinking about a leakdown test to pinpoint any problems in a particular cylinder.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Reply #2
Make sure you dist is pointed the right way and going to the correct cylinders as. Well.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com