Skip to main content
Topic: big turbo (Read 2034 times) previous topic - next topic

big turbo

i'll be starting up my car here pretty soon with my new turbo on for the first time and my question is do i need to pre-oil the turbo? By this i mean do i need to pour alittle oil into it before i start it up?
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

big turbo

Reply #1
Most turbo manufacters  recommend leaving the supply line off and crank the motor over till oil get to the turbo. Then
 I start the car with the hose on the cold side disconnected. This allows the turbo to spin with out a load on it.
 I've read that they should be ran like that for like 5 min's at idel to allow the bearing/cartridge to seat.

Just my option

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

big turbo

Reply #2
Well, due to the TC using a VAM ahead of the turbo, leaving the hose off is out of the question.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

big turbo

Reply #3
The bigger turbo may not even spin at idle.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

big turbo

Reply #4
it'll more than likely still spin, just much slower, until you touch the go pedal
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

big turbo

Reply #5
You could always crank the motor with the coil disconnected just to get some oil circulating before you start it. All the turbos ive ever purcashed have some thick lubricant in the bearing that doesnt allow them to spin very freely untill the oil pushes through anyway. I have a precision .63 60trim on my maxima. It spins a little at idle (700rpm) but thats on a 3.0L engine.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

big turbo

Reply #6
I followed what 5.8fastcat and after sitting for 2.5 months without starting and it fired right up really quickly the first time! the turbo doesnt spool at idle but when i get into the gas at all i can hear it.
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

big turbo

Reply #7
I love that sound. You will notice that you will be making more power at lower psi now with the larger turbo.

big turbo

Reply #8
I have had many many turbos.  Only ever had one fail....1987 GN stock original turbo gave out in 1999.  Anyways, if I can out the turbo or the car has been sitting for awhile.  I will remove the wire from the coil and crank the engine for a total of 30 seconds.  2x15seconds...

Always worked well for me.  I used to run my stock T3 up to 25psi....

Travis