Skip to main content
Topic: lamp out warning indicator (Read 2451 times) previous topic - next topic

lamp out warning indicator

Anyone know how to fix the "lamp out" warning when installing a relay setup on my 88 cougar?  I know I could just take the bulb out, but I would like to know if I have a taillamp or turn signal out also.
Mike

Reply #1
The way I am going to try is to bring in the relay way up by the switch so you aren't bypassing the resistors in the harness. I haven't done it yet, but there's a connector near the fusebox that should be a good source for the wires.

I am also interested in keeping the lamp-out warning but want to add relays, so this will be a very near future project.

Reply #2
The way I am going to try is to bring in the relay way up by the switch so you aren't bypassing the resistors in the harness. I haven't done it yet, but there's a connector near the fusebox that should be a good source for the wires.

I am also interested in keeping the lamp-out warning but want to add relays, so this will be a very near future project.

Reply #3
this is tricky but i would like to work on it.
do you have the diagram of how you are set up now?

i had a drawing done up with two relays to pick when either circuit got a ground based on good/bad bulb element but didnt like it.

what do you have now?  that will mean the most at this point.

Reply #4
As stated above, to keep the low beam lamp out warning, you will have to rewire the low beam relay circuit.

To remove the low beam headlights from the lamp out warning, you will have to locate the lamp-out warning module and cut two wires. The module has two connectors with 8 wires in each connector. The 88 EVTM says it is behind the right side of the dash. Pulling the glove box may be the way to go.

Cut the Red with Black stripe wire to connector C239.
Cut the Brown with Pink stripe wire to connector C240.

Reply #5
Thanks guys.  I have a EVTM, but I dont know what Im looking at.

Im OK with losing the headlight out part of the circuit, I will notice that.  Its the other lights Id like to keep tabs on.:D
Mike

Reply #6
That is something I have been wondering and considering also.  I made a relay setup for a 1997 Grand Marquis and was very pleased with the overall results.  The Cougar suffers dimmer headlights and would love the chance to work on a harness for this car.  Thanks for the info guys!

Reply #7
I used the RJM harness and it plugged right in.  Caught it on sale for $49, I couldnt resist it.
Mike

Reply #8
Qu
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #9
By slave them, you mean adding a relay? In my opinion neither the ground wires or switch were big enough for the headlights.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #10
Quote from: TOM Renzo;375975
I would think if you slave at 234  13 R/BK you will correct a voltage drop across the headlight and or high low switch. By slaving yo also protect the high low switch as well. And i would think if you did it this way you also reduce the current through the high low switch and your light out module will function properly.

That's just where I'd splice in the relay too. For the same reasons.

That's far enough 'upstream' in the circuit to retain the sentry functions.

I also intend to add a relay on the fog lights. (They aren't monitored by the sentry so not on the above diagram.)

Reply #11
Wh
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Reply #12
Tom, when I checked my headlights before my relay upgrade, I was losing just shy of 1 volt at the lamp.
Mike

Reply #13
Well