Skip to main content
Topic: Engine stumbling when accelerating (Read 978 times) previous topic - next topic

Engine stumbling when accelerating

my 88 bird has been stumbling off and on for awhile. When ever I try to press the gas it just shakes my car. I changed the spark plugs like 3 months ago (Still couldn't get the last one thats on the passenger side).

This problem happened a few months after I changed the plugs. I was wondering if anyone may have had this problem if you can help me out.

I'm thanking of changing the spark plug wires (and may be the distributor)

Reply #1
I would check cap/rotor.  ALso check wires and plugs (especially unchanged one)

I had cheap autozone wires once, the boots burnt on the headers because of the boots were not at good angle.

Reply #2
any codes?

Aside from that, basic tune up stuff won't hurt: distrib. cap, rotor, new plugs and wires, check timing (and remember to pull the SPOUT connector first), etc etc

But I'd first take it to an oreilly's or the like and borrow their code scanner, use it in the parking lot so they don't charge you a "loan" fee...

Let us know.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #3
Forgot about this thread... The shaking while accelerating was the fuel filter. I had a whole tune up done with new plugs and wires, ignition coil, and control module, etc.
But it's at a point where it will not stay running. Just today it was running good for 30 seconds then the engine was shaking and stalled. Now it will not start.
It turns over and sounds like it's going to run but cuts off quick.

Reply #4
Fuel pressure?
Codes?

Can you hear the pump prime for about 2 seconds when you first turn the key? If not, check the inertia switch in the trunk, behind the carpeting slightly off center, exactly opposite of the license plate...if that's not been tripped, and you have no or very low f/p, then your pump may be shot. Easy fix, if you're decent with tools.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)