Skip to main content
Topic: HVAC uh oh! (Read 1786 times) previous topic - next topic

HVAC uh oh!

so.. i went to turn the defrosters on in the new TC this morning, so i could see where i was going when i moved the car.. the blower motor never kicked on.. i only left it on for 10 seconds or so, and i started getting smoke out of the vents.. possibly a motor failure but there may also be a mouse nest in there..

are the base/lx/sport motors/boxes the same? i called advance and they can't get a motor in for a week or so, but when i asked the dude if they were the same for the 5.0 and 3.8 cars, all i got was 'uuuuhhhhh.. it doesn't say'.. if they are, i'll just c00ch 1 from the junkyard for the time being. i have other areas that need money/attention before i start spending a lot of money on less important things
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

HVAC uh oh!

Reply #1
I don't see why they wouldn't be.... the heater boxes are the same under the dash.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

HVAC uh oh!

Reply #2
except for the 83-84s I think... they are a bit diff in shape., but I bet the fans are still the same
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

HVAC uh oh!

Reply #3
i don't see why they wouldn't be either, but you never know.. lol better to be safe, than sorry

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

HVAC uh oh!

Reply #4
Call auto/advance or go online and compare part numbers. Simple.
...and there was light!

HVAC uh oh!

Reply #5
i called advance, refuse to do any kind of business with autozone, even if i just need a spark plug gapper.. they hire the dumbest droolies i've ever seen in my life.. i can't access either site from this computer, because my javascript needs to be updated, but something blocks it everytime i try

HVAC uh oh!

Reply #6
i CAN tell ya this, on the '88 cars, 2.3, 3.8 or 5.0, the heater controls, boxes, etc are the same, in regards to manual. Obviously the EATC systems are different, but likewise, the box doesn't give two shiznits what engine is under the hood. I'd probably somewhat safely say that this is the case '86 and up, at least.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

HVAC uh oh!

Reply #7
Keep the blower speed switch on high while trouble shooting this problem. With no air moving through the plenum box, the blower resistors can overheat and blow the thermal on the resistor pack. The resistors are only in the circuit at lower speeds.

HVAC uh oh!

Reply #8
i think i'm going to just start stripping the black car of all the HVAC stuff, throw it in the new car piece by piece, until it works.. the black TC won't need it, race cars don't have heat or AC