Skip to main content
Topic: Leaking Oil.... (Read 956 times) previous topic - next topic

Leaking Oil....

Today i took the car for a ride. Like every time when i am at the gas station, i do a fast check of  the engine. Where the crankshaft is located , there are a leak. It´s little and very very slow. I took my manual and read

"A leak equivalent to 2 or 3 drops in 30 minutes with the engine running to highway speeds, will be not important,but the equivalent to a little salt can means problems with the seal...."

And well, the leak was 2 little drops, and checked the crankshaft pulley again and is nearly clean......

I only want to know if this is true, or i need to start saving for a expensive reparation.....

Needless to say, when i do my oil change, i add 4 pints without filter , and get back 3.75 six months after....

(EDIT)
mmm, sorry, i was talking about quarts, not pints.....

1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Re: Leaking Oil....

Reply #1
that  is pretty good in my opinion. My cars dont leak oil, They mark their teritory. As well as the road to and from places in the rain. Basically, Compaired to my problems I think that you are fine. My car(s) All of them eat alittle more then 1 quart to a tank. My station wagon, which my dad spent almost $3000 when it was  "new" leaks about 2 quarts on a new rebuild and brand new rear main seal.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Re: Leaking Oil....

Reply #2
thats pretty normal for a car as old as your, if not much much better than normal. I was losing about a quart between oil changes in my old 5.0.