Skip to main content
Topic: TC Question (Read 1913 times) previous topic - next topic

TC Question

On my Turbo Coupe, there was a small, finned cooler mounted in front of the condenser.  It was about 4 inches, by 10 inches.  Was that an engine oil cooler?

The reason why I'm asking, is because that coolerwas mounted on a mounting bracket that I need.  The bracket I need is on the passenger side and bolts to the core support under the condenser and also bolts at it's other end to the core support above the condenser.  I have the one my TC came with, but need another one to bolt my aftermarket 30,000GVW tranny cooler to.

I threw the stock cooler that was mounted to that bracket in the trash.  If it was still on the car, it would be easy to determine what type of fluid it cooled.  It can't be the power steering cooler.  The power steering cooler is nothing but a tube that's mounted in front of the condenser.

If I knew what type of cooler the bracket I'm looking for holds, I'd be able to locate one of those brackets.  Thanks for any help.
William

TC Question

Reply #1
power steering oil cooler?  the engine oil cooler is between the filter and the block on the 2.3 and has coolant flowing through it.

TC Question

Reply #2
If your TC was an automatic, that was the trans cooler you tossed out.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

TC Question

Reply #3
Sounds like the trans cooler to me.
...and there was light!

TC Question

Reply #4
Don't the stock radiators that come in a TC have an integrated tranny cooler?
William

TC Question

Reply #5
Higher performance cars have seprate tranny coolers because they cool better than integrated ones. I would assume radiators would be the same in these birds TC or not. So it could have both integrated and seprate. One or both coolers could be used.

TC Question

Reply #7
Quote from: Chrome;374929
Higher performance cars have seprate tranny coolers because they cool better than integrated ones. I would assume radiators would be the same in these birds TC or not. So it could have both integrated and seprate. One or both coolers could be used.

Of course higher performance cars have seperate tranny coolers, but we're talking about an A4LD transmission that the auto TC's come with.  The cooling demands for a stock TC with that transmission shouldn't require an external tranny cooler; especially if the 5.0L Birds don't require one to properly cool the AOD trannies they come with.  That just doesn't make sense to me.
William

TC Question

Reply #8
the 5.0 birds should have had an external cooler, AOD's hate heat more than most transmissions.. but the tc WAS fords tbird performance car, therefore it got an external cooler
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

TC Question

Reply #9
My 86 XR7 used the radiator cooler and an external as well.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

TC Question

Reply #10
Quote from: 88 Blackbird 5.0;374937
Of course higher performance cars have seperate tranny coolers, but we're talking about an A4LD transmission that the auto TC's come with.  The cooling demands for a stock TC with that transmission shouldn't require an external tranny cooler; especially if the 5.0L Birds don't require one to properly cool the AOD trannies they come with.  That just doesn't make sense to me.

The 5.0 birds were not considered performance cars. The TC's were.
...and there was light!

TC Question

Reply #12

This is too good to be true!  You have two TC's with tranny coolers?  If you can give me your address and let me know when you leave for work, I'll stop by shortly after you leave and have my choice of which car I want to take the bracket from.  :P
William

TC Question

Reply #13
Quote from: Shadow;374940
the 5.0 birds should have had an external cooler, AOD's hate heat more than most transmissions.. but the tc WAS fords tbird performance car, therefore it got an external cooler

That's what's so laughable about Ford putting tranny coolers on TC's, but not Sports.  If you had to choose which trans needs maximum cooling more between an AOD and an A4LD, the AOD would be the correct choice, hands down.  There's a good reason why I'm installiing a 30,000 GVW tranny cooler on the Red-Winged Blackbird.
William

TC Question

Reply #14
That's messed up! lol
...and there was light!