Skip to main content
Topic: Oh no! (Read 2249 times) previous topic - next topic

Oh no!

Bad luck follows my car guys.... Just finished putting new tires on the car was driving home. Got on the gas hard to see how the new tires would hold up and the motor didnt.... Lots of smoke, coolant in the oil, coolant coming out from under valve cover gasket on drivers side in the back, white foamy oil/coolant along firewall center of car. Would that be intake gasket or head gasket if its kicking it out there? Or cracked aluminum head.... I hope i just had some bolts come loose and blown the gaskets since ive been having issues with the bolts coming loose.  I was able to get out of traffic when the temp hit 225 and shut it down.... uggh..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oh no!

Reply #1
water AND oil on the firewall? almost sounds like you blew the intake gaskets out the back.. but from under the valve cover gasket? that's an oddity..
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Oh no!

Reply #2
I had to tighten the valve cover gaskets yesturday, the bolts in them were so loose you could turn them by hand. the oil and coolant is mixed in that creamy tan color and sprayed up on bottom of hood and on firewall. the driverside valve cover you can see coolant escaping from the gasket between the heads and cover, the cover bolts loosened back up again in less than 75 miles....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oh no!

Reply #3
I checked the oil dipstick and it has coolant in it. Checked the radiator and same milky  there to.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oh no!

Reply #4
Sounds like a blown head gasket(s)

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

Oh no!

Reply #5
Anyone wanna come fix this for me?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oh no!

Reply #6
Pay my way out there and I'll even bring my own tools. Figure it would take me about 36 hours or so to drive.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Oh no!

Reply #7
You have coolant coming from between the head and valve cover? Or did I mis read something?

At the very least, HG...if coolant/oil mix coming from between the head and valve cover itself...it's either got some serious pressure forcing it through a valve guide or up along the push rods....or cracked head...hopefully it's just the gaskets..sounds like the bad luck I've got.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Oh no!

Reply #8
sounds to me like you need to pull those heads and have a machine shop check them out

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Oh no!

Reply #9
You need a crank case evacuation pump. Guessing boost is sneaking by the rings. How many miles are on the engine?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Oh no!

Reply #10
oh, this car is boosted? detonation may have been the cause than.. also, are you running head studs or bolts? i'd recommend using lots of loctite when putting it back together

Oh no!

Reply #11
How fair is it from Martinsville to Va Beach. Bring your heads to me, I'll take care of you. I can pressure test them and mill them for you at my freind's shop.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Oh no!

Reply #12
I've never took a motor apart before. I'm going to be stuck doing this at the house. With limited tools and knowledge. I'm just going to pull the drivers side head off and see how bad the damage is. If its just a simple gasket i should be able to fix that i hope. Any advice on doing this work? Bruce M. i'm on the opisuite side of the state. Its at least 4 hours if i had the time i might have taken you up on this offer lol...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oh no!

Reply #13
beings the heads are aluminum, i would highly recommend having them checked out by a machine shop.. it's always better to be safe than sorry lol

Oh no!

Reply #14
It's not too hard if you've used a torque wrench before :).

I hope that you didn't wipe out the bearings. With that much water in the oil I would be worried about the condition of the bearings.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.