Skip to main content
Topic: Dip stick differences on 5.0 (Read 817 times) previous topic - next topic

Dip stick differences on 5.0

why is this?
upper dip stick if from my sons 88bird with 5.0, all stock

lower dip stick is from my 20th anny with 5.0, all stock

Full mark is way off from one another.

Reply #1
One is a "full " mark the other is a "max" mark ...  The  factory literature will tell you on the larger crosshatch stick that "full" is in the middle of the crosshatch section
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #2
the "add" font on each stick is different to so that the low level is also oriented differently along with the position of the word "add".
I guess ive never noticed this before and it made me wonder why would ford do this on identical motors,, what did they have to gain by doing so.

Reply #3
Different part #......

SHOULD be a different part # on the tube going into the block as well.  THis was a part that was designed to go across an array of vehicles.  THe change was probably due to some other change in the FoMoCo lineup with regards to engine layout or available space.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #4
I'll bet the full marks are in the same place once the dipstick is installed, in regards to each other. Is the one a slight bit longer than the other?
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #5
Exactly.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!