Skip to main content
Topic: Need Advice on 1997 Sable (Read 2344 times) previous topic - next topic

Need Advice on 1997 Sable

Not a Cougar question - but I hope you all can help. I just aquired a 1997 Mercury Sable with 82,000 miles - it is in excellent shape - owned by an elderly couple who traded it at a local dealership and I got my hands on it.  It had 31,000 miles back in 1998 when they bought it so it was not driven a lot over the last 13 years.  The problem I have is that the motor skips, it is the 3.0 liter OHV, not the Duratec.  It runs fine for the first minute or so, then the missing starts.  If you travel about 40 MPH, or anywhere around 1500-1800 RPM you can really feel it - like a tire is out of balance.  Sometimes at a stop it misses bad enough that the lights flicker. Sometimes it will run fine with no skipping for a little stretch.  I changed the air filter, plugs, plug wires, PVC valve and fuel filter - still misses.  I took it to the local Ford/Mercury dealership and had a relative compression check done and hooked up to the diagnostics - no code, compression fine and the check engine light has never come on.  The 'injector flow' was checked and it was okay as well. They performed an 'induction cleaning' which cleaned the throttle body and put 'injection cleaner' in the gas and they told me to run the tank dry and then try a tank of 91 octane to see if the injectors are dirty.  After half a tank of their 'cleaner' - still the same problem.  They stated that it looked like it had sat a little while, which it probably did.  Any suggestions??  I know the ignition module goes bad on the Taurus/Sable - but the part it $90 bucks and I hate to buy it, and it doesn't solve the problem - no return on electrical parts of course.  The gas milage on my first tank was was around 20-21 MPG, and I do about 70% on the interstate at 65 MPH, so the milage is not great.  I've put about 500 miles on it since I got it.  Still think it is an injector problem somewhere.  Again, I know it is not a Cougar question, though it is a Mercury :).  Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be appreciated!

PS - Sorry for such a long post, but I wanted to make sure I gave as much info as possible :)

Reply #1
O2 sensors? Catalytic convertor clogged? What's the fuel pressure? Might look into that too. Low f/p can cause some of the symptoms you describe. Also, check the fuel pressure regulator.

If you find the cause, post here with your results :)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #2
Try cleaning your Mass air sensor. I had a 1997 Grand Marquis with a 4.6 and the forum I used there had a majority of owners with MAF sensor problems that did not throw a check engine code.

Reply #3
Check the coil, spark plugs, and wires.
2003 Marauder 300B
1996-97 Cobra wheel straight but weathered (For Sale)
84 TC manual shifter handle no  (For Sale)

BTW, I had a 1988 T-Bird Sport way back when. I found out that it was totalled shortly after trading it in. It still has the ignition switch recall to date.

Special thanx to EricCoolCats for showing me to this site.:bowdown:

Reply #4
I would disconnect the battery to reset computer then carefully remove MAF sensor, get a q tip and a bottle of either electrical connector or mass air sensor spray. Spray down the sensor wires then lightly dab the wires(meter) with the qtip, make sure to not leave any cotton threads from qtip. Resoak with spray and let dry.  Reinstall, connect battery and see if that helps.  I would also throw a bottle of b12 chemtool in the tank on next fillup. Good luck, let us know the outcome of your problem.

Reply #5
Thanks for all the info guys.  I picked up a can of the MAF sensor cleaner tonight after work - was too dark to try doing it.  I will clean the sensor tomorrow and give an update.  Thanks again!

Reply #6
Okay - I pulled the MAF sensor and it looked great!  I cleaned it anyway - car still ran the same.  I went down to Advance Auto to seek some advice.  I was told that the Idle Control Valve might be acting up and clean it - I did - runs a tad bit better (maybe just me hoping).  The guy at advance auto also said it might be the Engine Temperature Sensor since it puts out so few OHMs it won't trip a code and might be the problem.  He told me that a lot of the computing is done off the temperature sensor (ignition, timing, etc) and maybe the engine in not getting an accurate reading, or no reading at all.  He stated to try and disconnect the sensor and run the car and see if it runs any differently.  I did disconnect the sensor drove the car home - the symtoms did stay the same.  My repair book states it would throw a code if the temperature sensor was bad, though.  Maybe cleaning the Idle Control Valve might not be enough - maybe needs replacing?  I hate to spend $60 on a part I don't need. If the O2 sensors were bad, they would throw a code, correct? Maybe the fuel regulator? They don't rent fuel pressure gages and a new gauge is $40 - the fuel regulator part is $46.  This is driving me nuts! Any thoughts, advice or suggestions?

Reply #7
Did you disconnect the battery for awhile when you pulled the mass air sensor? Yes the 02 sensors would throw a code if bad. Check and make sure your grounds are all intact in the engine compartment, might not hurt to wire brush them and throw little dialectic grease/vasoline on them. It is sure sounding like something electrical more than mechanical due to it being temperamental and your lights dimming . Is it hard to start like it is not holding fuel rail pressure? There really isn't too much to those idle air control valves. If its not too carboned up and you cleaned it that plunger should move ok. If you have a haynes manual, they have a test you can run with a multimeter to test the temperature control sensor voltage at different engine temperatures. Good luck! Tim

Reply #8
For some reason Every time this thread comes up I think it says Saab instead of Sable,  which immediately makes me want to give you a hard time for buying a Saab.... lol: D

Best of wishes on getting your car fixed!
...and there was light!

Reply #9
Well - new problem now.  While looking over the car to hear if it was a vaspoogen leak somewhere - we were reving the engine up - only to about 3500 RPM in short spurts.  Well, the engine was getting warm naturally, and the transmission started leaking!!  Seem to be coming somewhere where the engine and transmission meet - right next to the oil pan.  There is a small shield that goes up into the tranny and started leaking from behind it.  When the engine cooled - the leak slowed and stopped.  Not Happy!  My deal may not have been a deal after all!  The dealership I bought it from did change the fluid - could they have put the wrong kind in - or most probably a seal has cracked.  Don't even want to know what it will cost me!!

Reply #10
I know for a fact Tauruses and Sables had a problem with transmissions since they came out.  You sure its tranny fluid and not engine oil meaning rear main seal? Check your lines going into casing of transmission those plastic lock clips like to leak that hold the lines into the fittings. If transmission shifts good now would be a good time to drop the pan and filter and refill with new Mercon V.

Reply #11
Does it run good when cold and then the problem starts after its warmed up?
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #12
bhazard - yes the problem starts when warmed up about 1 or 2 minutes after the engine is cold.
beast50 -  Its definately tranny fluid

Reply #13
I'd try to get the fuel pressure tested somehow...is there an Oreilly's near? They rent out fuel pressure testers....

From the symptoms you describe, I'd look at the fuel regulator if there's good pressure. Not sure what the Taurus/Sable cars stock fuel pressure rating is, but shouldn't be hard to find that info.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #14
There could be one of a numerous culprits to this problem e.g: egr valve, egr position sensor or DPFE sensor, throttle position sensor,fuel filter, ignition module, etc.  And like whats been said MAF sensor, idle air control valve, fuel pressure regulator, grounds, vacuum leak.

Your on the right track, just test each one you can, replace all normal maintenence items like you have, check vacuum leaks and compression for head gasket leak and you are bound to find your problem. Always remember to reset the computer by unhooking the battery to relearn.

I believe it's wise to not throw new parts at it until you find the bad part; 2 reasons being, nowadays you may get a bad part out of the box and the second reason being you will know what the symptoms are for next time you run into a problem.