Skip to main content
Topic: why do you love your fox bird/cat? (Read 5252 times) previous topic - next topic

why do you love your fox bird/cat?

Reply #30
that would be pretty sweet to see a bird blazing across the salt flats of bonneville
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #31
My T-Bird is parked in my parents driveway, and today my Mom asked me when I was gonna move it. I told her when I trade the Jeep for a truck I'll haul it away on a car trailer. She said "well I know the Junkyard is getting ready for another round of crushing soon". I said, "if there is any Cougar or Thunderbird about to be crushed I will buy it, I cannot allow such a thing to happen." I'll throw her '03 VW Beetle in the crusher before a Four-Eye.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #32
I like 'em because they're not "bellybutton" like a Mustang, yet take pretty much every mechanical upgrade that said Mustangs can. They have a softer, more sculpted body line than the same year Stangs, and to me it makes it look like the car is in motion while sitting still. It's NOT the "last musclecar" or whatever shiznit some overpaid geezer at some dumbshiznit magazine wrote....but it WAS one of the last true domestic rear drive SportLuxury coupes produced...

I've had 4 '88 cars...all engines available...the TC I had never ran, so by far I have to say the 5.0 is the clear winner...the Sport, that is...although it's a dream-turned-nightmare in real life.

Regardless, these cars are uncommon, and getting more so every day...save 'em. I wish I still had the shell of the TC, and the first Bird....they'd have made decent bodies if someone needed..
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #33
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;373304
Regardless, these cars are uncommon, and getting more so every day...save 'em.

that's why i strongly disagree with hcor and 'fox restoration'.. a lot of the cars he was picking clean (at least that i have witnessed) were completely saveable.. nothing against him personally, we all need to make bank somehow, but i couldn't do that to fox birds.. i've often thought about going to junkyards and picking up any fox birds/cats i can and save as many of them as possible, while using the unsaveables for parts/part outs.. it's a bit of a kick in the nuts every time i see another car being parted out in the classifies

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #34
Haystack....i will take you up on that.

I am 45 now, just trying to knock it off my bucket list early!

Reply #35
 i'd love to get hold of one of the last TC's.
they really do have a nice style
83 Thunderbird Heritage - Right Hand Drive
95 Falcon GLi

Reply #36
I'm in a debate whether I want to put a 2.3T or a big, cammed out V8 in my T-Bird. It's gonna be a nasty car all around. Lowered, wide tires, tons of power. The way it should be lol.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #37
Quote from: cougrrr302;373371
I'm in a debate whether I want to put a 2.3T or a big, cammed out V8 in my T-Bird. It's gonna be a nasty car all around. Lowered, wide tires, tons of power. The way it should be lol.

My vote is V8, just love that sound.
Mike

Reply #38
Hi everyone, new to the forum. It's great. I love my bird 87 LX soon to be LX TC combo, because I bought it brand new in 87. Drove it for 8 years and gave it to my son. He drove it for several years and gave it to a buddy of his now I have it back and in the process of restoration/restomod. Took out the 3.8 going back with 5.0 with console and floor shift. Hope I can find the body side trim somewhere as mine is bent from a couple of dents.  Anyway it has a soft spot in my heart. I also was a big Nascar fan and loved it when the birds were kicking ass. I have an 88 TC as a donor car I will be parting with when I am finished the only thing it won't have is the radiator mount ( had to take that for the LX) Keep the fourm going I am glad I finally found others that love these cars as I do.

Reply #39
^^^Welcome! It's a given...these cars are an addiction..very few have been cured. lol
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #40
I love the birds because it was the first car I ever owned it although met its demise at the hand of me and a dirt road ditch. I have owned 3 87-88 birds and the truly main reason I love them is the fact they are different every one and there dog has a fast mustang or camaro and when you pull up to the line in a bird people give you this funny look like what are you going to do with that then you show em
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Reply #41
For the '87-'88 Cougar LS with most options:
Mild and simple elegance
Tasteful aesthetics
It doesn't look too dated even 24 years later
Comfortable ergonomics
Comfortable ride
Modern convenience options such as MPG and auto climate
Durable and reliable
Shared platform with mainstream cars
No mainstream appeal (or awareness) so there is little concern parking it most places allowing for more opportunities of enjoyment
They are very affordable to buy (due to their minimal awareness), run, and maintain

The '88 XR-7 is all the above plus a mild sporty look and feel.

The '88 Cougar looks good in both monochromatic and mild chrome forms which for most cars, is either one or the other.  These can look good both ways.

I've always had at least one since high school.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #42
I fell In love with these cars back when my driver was an 80 Formula Firebird (some time in the very late 80's). I was growing bored with Firebirds (the 80 was my second, the first was a 78 Trans Am). I saw a white 84 T-bird at a local used car lot and pulled in to check it out. They wanted $3000 for it. It was advertised as an 86, but knowing what I know now I know it was an 84. They wouldn't give me a decent trade value on the Firebird so I drove away (funny, now you'd be able to buy four fox birds with what that firebird would be worth). I sold the f-body privately but by this time that white bird was long gone, so I started searching the classifieds. After looking at several cars I bought my first fox, a light sage green 85 v6 bird. The car was a stripper - the only options it had were metallic paint and full size spare. It was actually an extremely rare combo - the light sage green paint was rare enough, but even the few of those that existed usually had sandalwood guts - mine had charcoal. With the v6 it was dog-ass slow (but about par with that 301 pontiac) but I loved it. It cemented my love of these cars and was only the first of many. I sold my last one and am currently foxless but will find the right four-eye bird someday...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #43
Quote from: mcb82gt;373409
My vote is V8, just love that sound.

I love a cammed V8 for sure. My Cougar will be getting a very nicely built Dart 347 pushing in the neighborhood of 550+. I loved power adders(mostly for the sound) haha. I know their function and purpose, but a supercharger whine is just as shagy as the rumble of a V8. The sound of a Turbo spooling on a 2.3 that is cammed is a close second for me. Since I have a V8, especially in a few of my cars, I have considered a 2.3T project. A V8 would be an easy swap. I was thinking a 460 haha, just a monster motor that's carbed and I don't have to worry about Fuel Injection. It would have Nascar style side pipes, lowered on some FR500s.

I sometimes go to my storage unit, just to be around the Cougar. That car has so much meaning to me. I even look at my tattoo everyday and think about my Uncle and my car. I love every second of driving that car. When I'm driving it, my mind goes blank and I don't have a care in the world, it's the greatest feeling.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #44
i vote 2.3T if you already have a smallblock car.. i love the sound of a small block + turbo, superchargers on a smallblock are overrated in my book.. but i vote 2.3T, as many people (myself included) have thrown the turbo motors in the garbage, so to speak