Skip to main content
Topic: why do you love your fox bird/cat? (Read 5329 times) previous topic - next topic

why do you love your fox bird/cat?

Reply #15
Quote from: Shadow;373199
i think he was saying in another thread that when he took it to a show, people kept staring at it because they didn't know what it was.. lol

This...
Theres only a handful of 80's tbirds in AU, so no one knows what they are. very unique :P

When did the vent windows get phased out?
i like em!
83 Thunderbird Heritage - Right Hand Drive
95 Falcon GLi

Reply #16
Quote from: EFFalcon;373207
This...When did the vent windows get phased out?
i like em!

i don't know, but they seem to be a semi-rare option.. i know they didn't make it to the 87 birds/cats
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #17
Quote from: Shadow;373164
as the title states.. what makes you love your bird/cat so much?

for me, it started with the fact that the 'aero bird' is dubbed as 'ford's last muscle car,' which is completely true. NEVER heard it refereed as Fords last muscle car, Ever. MN-12's are considered a 'luxury sport' and mustangs are technically a 'sports car.' since i owned my 88 sport, it's grown into much more than just the 'muscle car' appeal

so lets here your story!
LOL. For me, The aero bird was the first of the sport luxury cars, not the last of the muscle car. To argue otherwise would be complete insanity in my book. They had great potential but the mustang took priority. They were great cars in their day though. It's important too keep things in perspective. I remember arguing with old timers about their old cars like the boss 302. fantastic car but a slow, sloppy dinosaur in current terms. That's just how it goes....
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #18
not to start an argument, but the aero birds have been dubbed 'ford's last muscle car' by numerous publications because of it's size, comfortable interior and (ready for this 1? it's pretty stupid-funny) 'powerful like the muscle cars of the 60's..' the 'better' handling and more comfortable interior didn't come as a 'luxury' thing, it was more of a 'time period correct' characteristic

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #19
I love the Sport because I'm the one she chose. Remember Arnie? The kid who bought Christine in the move? It's kind of like that.....but less evil.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #20
Quote from: Shadow;373213
not to start an argument, but the aero birds have been dubbed 'ford's last muscle car' by numerous publications because of it's size, comfortable interior and (ready for this 1? it's pretty stupid-funny) 'powerful like the muscle cars of the 60's..' the 'better' handling and more comfortable interior didn't come as a 'luxury' thing, it was more of a 'time period correct' characteristic

That doesn't make them right. Everybody has their opinion. There is nothing "muscle car" about them.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #21
im original owner,it reminds me of my youth

Reply #22
I was given a 3.8 87 TBird in high school after I blew the engine in my Buick TType. It was slow, but drove like a dream, and I had a lot of fun in it.

So after getting tired of trying to fit into Mustangs, I picked one up.
87 Thunderbird LX
65mm tb, exploder intake, iron gt40 heads, 1.6 rr, a9l mass air swap, 9.5" Billet Dirty Dog TC, Built AOD, 4.10's, 31 spline TLoc, Superior Axles, full sn95 five lug swap.

Reply #23
Well to start, my dad bought a new 5.0 Cougar in 1983 that he kept for almost 10 years, and my uncle had a 1984 Cougar with the 5.0 he kept for several years. So in our family they're just considered a nice car to have.

It's everything I like about fox Mustangs except it has more room inside, more trunk space, and it's far more comfortable.

Because it's a fox chassis, it benefits from the Mustang's aftermarket support.

For me, this is the ultimate car. I can see the potential in it, and it will be awesome.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #24
My car has sentimental value.  Aunt bought it new, Dad bought it and drove it for several years.  I inherited it at 17 yrs old and daily drove it in High School, college, and up until about '04 or so.  Lots of good memories in the car.  I used to routinely smoke my buddy in his '84 Monte w/305.  The cars seemed quick at the time, but now I know both were really slow, lol.

I remember my aunt driving the car home to Indiana from Louisiana when I was 7 or 8.  The 'bird would have only been a year or two old at the time but it seemed like such a fancy, hi-tech car at the time.  Digital dash, the equilizer for the radio, she even had a "bag phone"!  First time I ever remember seeing a cellular phone in my life.  I thought it was amazing you could call someone from your car.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #25
Quote from: vinnietbird;373220
I love the Sport because I'm the one she chose. Remember Arnie? The kid who bought Christine in the move? It's kind of like that.....but less evil.

Yeah I can dig it. That's how I feel about my Cougar. It's like the car chose me instead of the other way around.

I was meant to have this car. :)

Reply #26
I loved mine because my grandmother owned it since almost new, and I worked on it a lot. I had mine painted, swapped motors in it, changed the seats, lot of stuff. It was a POS when I got it, and it was still a POS when I traded it in for a 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 M/T.

I did what I could with it(wish I did more) for the 5 years I had it. I beat on it something fierce. After the frustration and aggravation of always wondering if it was going to break down, or what not, I was still proud of it. It's the blood, sweat, and tears that I put into it that made me love it. Driving it as a DD after I put the motor in it, made me feel like I had accomplished something. In the grand scheme of things, I didn't accomplish shi*, I spent my time working on a car no one gives a shi* about, but it still made me feel good.

After reading some of the responses here today, I called the dealer I traded it in at just to see what I could find out. After some calls, it turns out it was sold to a junk yard on 4/15/11 and crushed in June. The yard was actually a place I bought some parts for the car at some point in high school(circa 07-08). They didn't remove anything off of the car. Made me a little sad.

When i traded it in, there was so much wrong with it I couldn't use it as a DD anymore. But in hindsight, if I could go back, I would. It'd have kept it and either parted it or worked on it. Oh well.

Reply #27
I love em cuz I was a huge Ford fan as a kid and the Tbirds smacked the chevy's around in NASCAR starting in 83.  (Big Davy Allison fan).  I was only 16 or so and saw an 87TC at a car show, and was in awe, nothing like that car on the road at the time...  I am in the process of getting mine ready for a run at the 150MPH club at Bonneville.  It's a 50th B'day present to me from me, but I am hoping to do it in 2 years....we'll see.

Reply #28
do you mean 40th birthday? the numbers don't add up.. lol

Reply #29
Quote from: lakenheath24;373264
I love em cuz I was a huge Ford fan as a kid and the Tbirds smacked the chevy's around in NASCAR starting in 83.  (Big Davy Allison fan).  I was only 16 or so and saw an 87TC at a car show, and was in awe, nothing like that car on the road at the time...  I am in the process of getting mine ready for a run at the 150MPH club at Bonneville.  It's a 50th B'day present to me from me, but I am hoping to do it in 2 years....we'll see.

You need to call me up before you get out t do that. I live in magna utah, about a 60 min drive from boneville. I would love to see your car and watch it run. If there is anything you need when your driving through town or anything, let me know.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com