Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel pump access panel (Read 2927 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel pump access panel

I want to cut an access panel in my trunk for getting to the fp. My question is has anyone cut there access panel while the tank is still mounted and if you have what did you use to do the cutting without cutting into the wires or lines.
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Fuel pump access panel

Reply #1
i use these for most of my sheet metal cutting.. just have to drill a starting hole on sheet metal without a flat, exposed edge to start on.. you could use a cut-off wheel as well and cut ALMOST all the way through the trunk pan, then go around it with a screw driver to break it out the rest of the way.. i would suggest at least lowering the tank a little, no matter what route you take, to further prevent damaging your fuel lines/harness

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-gauge-swivel-head-shear-68199.html
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Fuel pump access panel

Reply #2
I find it odd there is nothing in my diy link below that covers this.  I am pretty sure its an update on my other computer i forgot to put up in the library of info

cant seem to find the thread, its been done twice that I know of.

once about 8 years ago theh i think a couple years ago by someone.

I will post pics of my access hole on my white coug when i get back to the house.

Fuel pump access panel

Reply #3
Once you get the straps off, its 10 minutes or less. If the bolts aren't rusty, 10 minutes total. There should be enough slack to set it on the ground and you don't even need to jack the car up.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Fuel pump access panel

Reply #4
I used a air chisel and cut the very top off without moving the tank then had a cutout from another car with the rounded edge and it sits nicely on top.  The only spot that was close to the lines was at the front of the point of the hump in the floor.  It took me five minutes to do

Fuel pump access panel

Reply #5
I used a Dremel and a cutoff wheel to cut the hole..... Took me about 5 minutes. I then made a new cover panel from a piece of 12"x12" steel I got from Lowe's that I cut to fit. I left the tank in place.I also sprayed the tank up top with the water hose to wet it. No issues. Maybe wasn't the safest way, but it worked for me.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Fuel pump access panel

Reply #6
Guys
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Fuel pump access panel

Reply #7
Quote from: TOM Renzo;374558
Break out SHADOWS nifty electric nippers and go to town.

i love my electric sheers :)

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Fuel pump access panel

Reply #8
They
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Fuel pump access panel

Reply #9
yeah they are.. i have a matco pneumatic 1, but it broke on me twice.. the harbor freight cheapy just keeps on ticking

Fuel pump access panel

Reply #10
Quote from: Haystack;374513
Once you get the straps off, its 10 minutes or less. If the bolts aren't rusty, 10 minutes total. There should be enough slack to set it on the ground and you don't even need to jack the car up.

Quote from: TOM Renzo;374558
GUYS i am with Hay Stacks. Those tanks are a piece of cake to drop. 20 Minutes wearing BOXING GLOVES. Now Third and fourth GEN Camaro is different. Break out SHADOWS nifty electric nippers and go to town. But i will say a trap door dun correctly and neat is a plus . Thanks

I'm going to agree. When I swapped in my 155lph Walbro I think it took me a whole 45 minutes to complete. I was going slow because the thank was 1/3 full. I didn't want to spill any gas.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Fuel pump access panel

Reply #11
Me and my friend jut did one with it over half full. It would have sucked by yourself, but wasn't bad. But when the airtek pump died 1 day in, we both wished we cut the hole.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Fuel pump access panel

Reply #12
Dont get me wring I have dropped my take now three times twice for a fp change and once because the rubber gasket that goes around the friller neck got brittle and cracked and started leaking I was just thinking about adding an access door because I think that with the next goaround I would put one in. Oh by the way I use my motorcycle jack to raise and lower the tank if there is more than half a tank.
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Fuel pump access panel

Reply #13
THe only part you need to cut out is looking in the trunk, there is a ,, what shape is it,,,,,,,,

oh yea,, its shaped like a home plate (baseball) but upside down in the right side of the lower part of the floor panel.

a side grinder with a thin cutting wheel and cutting to the point that your remaining metal is just paper thin is all that needs done.
the odds of hitting wiring are very slim just due to the fact of how the 90deg electrical connector attaches to the pumps housing.  the odds of hitting a fuel line is also slim but the clearance in there is a lot more than you would expect.

Fuel pump access panel

Reply #14
Alright.  You guys talked me into cutting an access hole into the trunk of the RWBB.  I have a new 255LPH fuel pump on the way.  The tank is sitting on the floor.  What better time to cut that hole in the trunk I figured.
Dropping the tank is a piece of cake when it's empty as we all know, but like an earlier post mentioned, what if the pump goes bad when you have a lot of gas in the tank?  Now I won't have to worry about that scenario.
William