Skip to main content
Topic: Nice cheap RC Helicopter for $20 (Read 3148 times) previous topic - next topic

Nice cheap RC Helicopter for $20

Reply #15
I have a similar model, and I must say they are a blast and great stress reliever, even if you suck at piloting one (i.e. me)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

Reply #16
I grew up with R/C nitro airplanes, its been in the family for a very long time.  Dad builds his own and the fly awesome the last one he built was a fourstar 120 with about a 7 foot wingspan and a 4 stroke engine, the plane is awesome and is solid in the air.

http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGRC65.html

Reply #17
Man
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #18
just don't take it outside near trees tom.. i learned the hard way lol
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #19
Quote from: 88turbo;372814
I grew up with R/C nitro airplanes, its been in the family for a very long time.  Dad builds his own and the fly awesome the last one he built was a fourstar 120 with about a 7 foot wingspan and a 4 stroke engine, the plane is awesome and is solid in the air.

http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGRC65.html

We have a lot in common. My grandfather used to fly models over 30 years ago. My father grew up with them and so did I. My dad also used to be part owner of a hobby shop in the 80's. After my grandpa died, my dad took over all of his planes. I would guess we have at least 100 planes and probably as many motors, if not more. Sad thing is though, I might have seen my dad fly gas motors maybe three times in my life.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #20
Yeah, I'm no stranger to planks either. I've been flying them much longer than helis. 3 nitro 40-60 size and 3 electric sport/3D planes. I've found myself leaving the nitro planes hanging. Too big and messy compared to my electrics. Can't beat the convenience of bringing a handful of lipos to the field up the road rather than going to the airport or club to fly the nitros.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #21
My dad's 800 lipo's charge in about 30 minutes. He can make them last that long on a 400 sized brushless. We bring a small car jumper with us to the park, and he likes to fly in the ground effect and do touch and go's. I'd say its rare to see him fly 20 feet off the ground.

With my plane, I am a lot heavier on the throttle and fly a lot higher. Still learning really. I probably only have two or three hours on my plane. Flew it for two hours first day I got it together on about three 1800 lipo's. Ever since I went to the different motor mount and motor's I keep having problems. First time I had my battery plug wire fall off in flight. Next two time I lost my motor mount on take off and pulled all the wires out from the prop still spinning. The design in an over sized hole with two or three set screws. I'm not know for under tightening anything. I even used some lock tight. I think I'm goin to order a new style mount or try to rewind the motors I have and epoxy the motor in place. I have broken a couple of props, but still haven't bent a shaft.

My dad has all kinds of crazy setups. Has a bi-plane setup as te red baron with snoopy in the pen 15pit, and a tossel rotory motor. My dad also has some pylon racers and things like that. His job was to build the race motors for them. He has one plane with a .60 that he said was well over 5hp. He said he could do unlimited verticle with a 15 ft wingspan plane.

We oughta start a new thread and I'll see if I can get some pictures of some of our stuff.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #22
Weird issues with the mounts. A bit of C.A. couldn't hurt or thread lock if it uses blind nuts. I've never had a motor come loose.

With the electrics i fly low and slow, high alpha 3d like rolling harriers and loops, hovers, torque rolls etc. and smaller, tighter circuits. None of my bigger nitro planes are unlimited like that so i race around with them and stick to more aerobatic stuff. The collection isn't huge but it keeps me happy.

~John~

Reply #23
Having a good time is what makes it worth while. I have only flown two planes, both slow sticks. I want to get them down alittle bit better, then try to transition into some faster planes. I'm going to start a new thread in the lounge with some pics of our planes.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #24
Sweet. I'll see what I can dig up for pics or take some new ones. I don't have many but I'll share.

~John~

Reply #25
Walmart has the same thing for $25. They were on sale one day, and I tried to snag a few, so I went to Target who price matched the sale. I bought two for my 1 and 3 year old. They watch me fly it into the wall and bounce off the ceiling. For less than $40 for both I can afford to destroy one and attempt to repair it, and have a back up for whenever. Great fun for the kids, and I love to mess around with RC stuff. I have a tote full of Zip Zaps, and X-Mods.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #26
i was never 1 to really get into planes/helis, but i was always big on nitro cars/trucks.. had my first 1 when i was 14.. still have a few, but trying to focus on putting my ofna ultra mbx buggy together.. it was always more fun to watch my stadium trucks fly through the air than a plane/heli lol

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #27
Yeah, I did the Nitro truck thing for like 10 years. It was fun (when stuff wasn't broken or being finicky) but I never really raced. Never cared for the effort it took to go to the track and race other people. Just didn't interest me. I was more of a basher but that got old and boring. The ONLY way i would ever consider getting back into surface models like that would be with a brush-less E-Revo but it's too pricey too be fooling with that stuff again. I'm thinking about getting the Spartan brush-less V hull though. Everyone in the family could enjoy that. I learned over the overlapping years that i belonged in the air. I don't break stuff nearly as often now and I really enjoy the freedom it offers, as well as the skills I've developed, and the challenge and attention it brings. I can't wait to bring my older (8 yo) daughter to the field next year. She's been learning on the sim. and doing very well.

i was never 1 to really get into planes/helis
it was always more fun to watch my stadium trucks fly through the air than a plane/heli
To each his own. Sounds to me like you never put in an effort or gave it a chance.

~John~

Reply #28
Quote from: shame302;373106
To each his own. Sounds to me like you never put in an effort or gave it a chance.

things that fly through the air never really tickled my fancy, whether big or small (real or a toy/hobbyist scale).. would i like to try it someday? sure.. will i? highly unlikely.. i know it's not something i could fully get into.. i like my stadium trucks because i don't have to leave my yard to screw with it.. i haven't broken anything in years, thanks to all the aluminum and carbon fiber parts that i've wound up with.. i can't get serious enough to actually race them either, but they're fun to mess with and launch off the little jumps i have out back.. whenever i take a trip to EHTBMX to ride/train, i always toss my RC10GT in the truck and play around before i leave..  thing gets around the track better than i do >:l

Reply #29
Like I said, To each his own. Same With BMX. I used to be into that and trails/dirt jumping back in the day till i wrecked my knee (back in the mongoose solution pro, Haro elite and T.A.J./Hoffman days. Moved on to Free ride and DH Mt. Biking from there. Haven't really had time (kids and big boy life) for resorts or parks or city/urban free riding so my bike collects dust but I could never go back to BMX. Still have my Haro frame though. I'm planning on building it up for my older daughter.

~John~