Skip to main content
Topic: 86 TiBird Hood ideas? (Read 858 times) previous topic - next topic

86 TiBird Hood ideas?

Hi All,

I'm looking for some ideas for a hood for my 86 T-Bird drag car.  I am not crazy about the current setup that was on the car when I got it.  Currently has a 5" cowl hood with a scoop on top of that.  A 5" cowl alone is not enough.  The top of the throttle body comes within 1.5" of the cowl, so the scoop is added.  My injected 598 BBF is pretty tall.  A 5" cowl is as tall as I have found from any company. 

I could always do a flat hood with a Pro-Stock style scoop, but I was hoping to find some other ideas.  I saw an 88 T-bird at the track over the weekend that had a great looking setup, but it won't fit mine.  It was 3" rounded cowl (sort of Cobra-R mustang style) The cowl extended all the way back to the windshield.  Looked good.

Looking for ideas.  Post up pics if you have them.

My current setup:

Best so far of 5.24 @ 133 1/8 mile all motor

Thanks
David Cole
86 T-Bird
Alston chassis, Ladder Bars, struts, steel body
alky injected 598 BBF.  5.23 @135 1/8 mile, 1.15 60'

86 TiBird Hood ideas?

Reply #1
I don't have near what you got,to say what would work. but I think your going to have to make something unique.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

86 TiBird Hood ideas?

Reply #2
Sir, in your position I would have gone no hood, thats alot of motor lol.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"