Skip to main content
Topic: Sho_Shane's 87 Turbo Coupe (Read 2400 times) previous topic - next topic

Sho_Shane's 87 Turbo Coupe

Im the very happy owner of a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. I picked it up VERY cheap from the man that got it brand new in 1987. It only has 79K on it and minus a woman running over the front of it is in great shape. Its bone stock but Im hoping wont stay that way for long.

Here are some pics:

No Core Damage:

The Inside is a 10 out of a 10:

Everything is here:

Stock motor:

Both of my cars together:

Ok so with the TC there is a few probs:
1. Driver and Passinger window do not work. I checked the fuse and it looks good. I also tried a jumper on the back of the switch and still nothing. What could it be?

2. The car runs like a brand new car, But twice now at idle it has just died? It fires right back up and runs perfect, it has only done it twice and has been at idle both times. What could this be?

3. Once now the cars idle has moved around on its own. Like from the 1000rpm idle to 2500rpm, then to 1500rpm, then steady at 3200rpm. Then I killed it and restarted to a perfect idle again. WHat could this be?

All in all its a great car so far and Im hoping to get to some tastefull mods to come.

What do yall think?

Reply #1
Congratulations!  And welcome to the site.  Very nice pickup.  I have a blue/blue TC also.  But yours is in better shape (except for the header panel and bumper cover :)).

1. Both window motors could be bad?  I wonder if you can just jumper 12V power/ground to the windows motor wires directly to test them.
2. I would replace the TFI module on the distributor with a Genuine MOTORCRAFT replacement.  There are details a http://www.turbotbird.com as to how to do that.
3. This might be fixed with the TFI replacement. But I would also check your vacuum lines.  Start by hooking up a vacuum gauge to the vacuum tree to see how much vacuum the car is pulling at idle (17-22 Hg).

Good luck!

Reply #2
Welcome !!! I talked to you on Ricekiller. Where is Greenville at? I'm 35 miles North of Gainesville on I-35.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
Quote from: vinnietbird;371849
Welcome !!! I talked to you on Ricekiller. Where is Greenville at? I'm 35 miles North of Gainesville on I-35.

Well Im an hour north of dallas on I30. :)

Reply #4
If you have an extra header what would you sell it for? Im really looking to make this a nice car. :)

Reply #5
If we meet at Gainesville, I'd take $60.00 for it. Needs paint, but in excellent shape.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #6
This is the forum to be at. I've been on Ricekiller, and go there about 3 times a year, not much for our cars though. This place is THE place for our Birds (and Cougars).

Reply #7
Ok cool, Can you send me some pics of the header? Is there a bumper?

Reply #8
PM sent.

Reply #9
welcome! beautiful car aside from the header.. just tell people it's for added radiator cooling and you haven't made the finishing touches yet lol :p
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #10
Ok Im looking to get started on some mods on this car. Everyone does things their own way and my way is to get the motor to a power level I can live with till I finish the rest. :)

Ok so here is the order I want to do things but I want yalls thoughts on this and help if you will.

1. I want to upgrade this exhaust. Im thinking a single turbo back 3in exhaust but Im not sure on how to go about it. I would say I need to order a 3in downpipe and have my ler guy go from there.

I would think since back pressure is the devil of a turbo that a strait 3in pipe to the back of the car would be the best way to go. But I dont want probs not being able to hear myself think. With all that said Im thinking 3in DP then 3in pipe with no cat to a 3in ler and dumped beside the trunk.

Main thing I want is flow and the second thing I want is to clearly hear that turbo whisle. :D

2. Is a Front Mount Intercooler, Blow Off Valve, and an Elctronic Boost Controller. I want to take the boost to around 16-18psi. From what I understand my car being a 87 means it has a tiny turbo on it and 18psi is the highest "safe" psi I should run.

3. Is I want to get and install the 1.9 Bo-Port Cam Kit. I want this cam because it looks like a great cam and to e honest I want a loppy motor that just sounds means. What I need to know here is if I can run this cam without having a tuning system and running on the stock computer system.

4. I want to get me a Moates burner and whatever system I need to run it to start playing with the tunning of my car. I've always wanted to learn this stuff and I know I can use it to make more power when I do upgrades and such. What all do I need to start this?

5. Its time to upgrade the fuel system with a 255 pump and a FPR.

6. I want to upgrade the turbo to a T3/T4 unit and take the boost up. Not alot but I want the 300hp range. I dont know that these motors are capable of in stock form. I still have a ton to learn...

Im hoping to have all this stuff done in this order by Feb-Mar and then I'll start on the susp. :)

Reply #11
The new wheels for the TC. Brand new in the box 17x8 for the front and 17x9 for the rear. :)

Reply #12
I'm jealous. Those would look good on my car!