Skip to main content
Topic: turbo swap problems... (Read 561 times) previous topic - next topic

turbo swap problems...

So far the theme is whatever can go wrong, will go wrong. The last problem I have for making my new turbo fit is a copper pipe. There is a a copper pipe that is connected to the firewall an inch above and an inch to the right from a cooper canister. The copper pipe runs from the fire wall to the wheel well and right where my intake housing should sit, the copper pipes turns down and runs down about 10 inches and than it runs to the front of my car. Im not sure what that pipe does but i know its the last thing in my way from getting my turbo in. Any ideas what to do?
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

turbo swap problems...

Reply #1
ive circled the pipe in red and the yellow is where the pipe runs.

1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

turbo swap problems...

Reply #2
That's part of the A/C system. Treat it nicely if your AC works. Sometimes you can GENTLY reroute them with your bare hands. Is it interfering with the compressor housing?
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

turbo swap problems...

Reply #3
I dont even have my A/C belt hooked up. I can move it alittle bit but not too much. Between the 2nd cylinder tube and the fenderwell is very tight to where there isnt really wingle room for the turbo so its stopping the turbo from sliding to where it needs to sit.