Skip to main content
Topic: 5.0 Possabilties (Read 1064 times) previous topic - next topic

5.0 Possabilties

Hello to all! As you can see this is my first post on this site. Im normally on TCCOA. However I am thinking of going to the 5.0 bird. I currently have a 95 with a 97 mark motor and 01 GM tranny with a tune. It has good power but its been a real struggle getting this thing lined out. Plus my future mods to this motor will be limited to almost nothing as in my opinion its much more expensive for parts and are harder to work on. Each motor has its pros and cons I know. The mark motor will out rev a 5.0 easily but IIRC the 5.0 has it in the tq department. With my budget and mechanical skills I think I can get more out of the 5.0. Just wondering what the hp/tq possabilities are without a power adder and what are some common issues I need to be aware other than the trannies? I will be staying with the MN12 platform 90-93. Thanks guys!

5.0 Possabilties

Reply #1
There's tons of potential, it all depends on your goals, budget, and skills. My engine is in my signature below. Lots of torque, and really nice power. With a supercharger,hopefully next year (hopefully), even more power. There are so many parts for these engines, your imagination is your limits. I have a T-5, and I've seen some use built AODs and even 6 speeds. Again, choices are many.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

5.0 Possabilties

Reply #2
the best thing about building a windsor motor.. PARTS AVAILABILITY.. there's a much larger aftermarket following for the 302/351 than there is for any other ford motor. you can even pick up a nice set of aftermarket aluminum heads for under a grand. you can build a great deal of power, depending on your budget and what you plan to do with the car.. running high compression gives the potential for great power without a power adder, but not very friendly for daily driver duty unless you like running premium gas (depending on the compression.. 11:1 isn't 'regular' friendly lol).
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

5.0 Possabilties

Reply #3
Thats what I was thinking as well .Thanks guys. Im old school 5.0 with my many previuos mustangs. This newer electronic  makes me want to puke. Dont get me wrong, I love the way this motor revs, but thats all its going to do. Cams for it are pushin a grand. Getting headers for it is another thousand. Then having to pay some one to mess with these motors because the timing is so easy to screw up. Too much of a headache if you ask me.

5.0 Possabilties

Reply #4
i agree 110%.. i dislike mod motors as well.. i'm not too fond of the new coyote 5.0 for that very reason.. i'm all about pushrod motors

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

5.0 Possabilties

Reply #5
Don't tell me you're one of those carbs are better than EFI guys, lol.

It's easier to pull codes from a vehicle with an EEC than to sort out problems on a carbed engine.

But anyway, yeah, I'd pick a 5.0 over a mod motor for ease of modifying...however, if money wasn't an object, it'd be a twin turbo coyote engine in my sig.

Yeah, the windsor engines have a nice torque hit, but gears and nitrous and proper building/tuning will decrease that difference substantially on the cammer engine...
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

5.0 Possabilties

Reply #6
carbs or aftermarket injection.. factory injection has too much junk attached to it that isn't really needed.. look at a holley commander or F.A.S.T. system compared to a factory harness.. yes, the factory injection needs it for emissions blah blah blah.. the more simplified, the better and the easier it is to build without headaches

5.0 Possabilties

Reply #7
A fast system has just as many wires. Just no emissions compatability. You might lose 6 wires. Unless you are going to modify the computer settings, I think fast is just a waste of money.

Its not like the stock wiring harness is going to be any different, and it will automatically disable all emissions if they are not hooked up. I think you have a higher redline with the fast system, because of the faster processor. Othere then that, with the cheapness and availiablity of stock efi parts, why bother?

Not trying to start an argument, just curious. I just can't see many stockish engines making power past 6200rpm, and cost is an awful lot more.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

5.0 Possabilties

Reply #8
my F.A.S.T. system has a LOT less wiring and sensors than a factory setup and it's a hell of a lot cleaner. it's also no where close to being a stock motor, not even a stock block. my MS2 has even less than the F.A.S.T. system.. why am i running them? simple answer.. boost, edelbrock 4 barrel throttle bodies and easier, better tuning ;)

5.0 Possabilties

Reply #9
I can understand the tuning bit, but I really don't see it being much less wires. You'll lose 5 or 6 for emissions parts, and you'll lose 4 for the msd box or coil packs. Other then that, you will have all of the same sensors, and if you are tuning it, probably a couple more sensors added. I have worked with a fast system before. It uses the same sensors and more or less the same wiring. If you simply clip off the wires that you won't be using off of a stock harness, then you basically have the same wiring.

If you already have the stock efi harness to work with, stick with that. Especially if you are not going to do a lot of tuning. If your starting from scratch, then I could see it being slightly easier, but a lot more expensive. Being as you have to buy all of the same sensors and everything anyway, then you have to run either msd or coil packs, then you have to buy the fast system, it will easily cost you 1k more if you buy everything new.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com