Skip to main content
Topic: Head gasket replacement on a '98 4.6. Any input? (Read 810 times) previous topic - next topic

Head gasket replacement on a '98 4.6. Any input?

My brother's got a '98 Expedition with a bad head gasket, and he's asking if I can help him out with it. 
While I saw several mod motors in states of disassembly @ KB's, I haven't turned a wrench on one myself.
Doing a little digging, it looks to be a c of a job, but the jury is out on whether the special tools are needed (to keep the cams/crank in place) to do the job.  Some folks say that they just zip-tie the timing chains to the cam gears to hold their location, while others say that's not possible since the cam gears are fixed to the cams. 
Anyone done this job and have any insight?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #1
On one of our 6.8 v-10's at work we just zip tied the cam gear. We actually replaced the head on the one side and did the chains so we had to reset timing anyways.

I have seen the cam tool, its just a clamp to keep it from turning while you have the heads off.

I think that I would just mark the chain and gear with some white out and tear it apart.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
Just get your crank key turned up to 12:00. Then you can mark (I used a center punch) a couple of reference points on the cam gears. Take a picture of it for memories sake!

I just recently had to repair my daughters expedition. (5.4) It had blown one of the plugs out. This was definitely a c. If your brother plans on keeping the vehicle, you might want to consider plug seat work while you have the head out. There were 3-4 years of the 4.6/5.4 engine that were/are notorious for blowing the plugs.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out!