Skip to main content
Topic: Turbo or Blower? (Read 769 times) previous topic - next topic

Turbo or Blower?

This is my setup,

Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance (-4cc dish?), Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4, Mass-Flo EFI

What do we think my compression ratio is? I'm figuring I"ll have to change heads, but can't decide if turbo or blower for next upgrade.

Probably going AOD in near future also.

Btw Car is semi dailey driver.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Turbo or Blower?

Reply #1
Turbo times 50!!! :)  I think your compression ratio will be fine.  Are the piston dishes because of valve reliefs or is there truly a dish?  As long as the pistons are forged, you will be fine.  The 185 AFR heads will respond VERY well to boost because of the size of the area under the valve (bowl).

Did you get the car running with the mass-flow system?  I'd like to see the final install.

Turbo or Blower?

Reply #2
Quote from: The Shredder;368236
Turbo times 50!!!

x25 ;)
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Turbo or Blower?

Reply #3
No on the running, we hit a snag and I live about 140 miles from the car. My dad tore his bicep loose and had to have surgery and I ran out of time pretty much without my helper (plus helping him). I have a wedding (not me thank god lol), some certification test and other  I have to get out of the way and I'll be back on it. I'm as disappointed in not finishing it as any one.

Seems everyweekend I had to work on it, I ended up fixing some one else's junk so I could get mine in the garage. Shift cable on my sisters car, ball joints on my dads, and water pump on my brother in laws car. Just over all bad timing I guess.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Turbo or Blower?

Reply #4
You know hellion has a kit that will slap right on a 302 but you might have to get it tuned to fit your motor it said 400-800 horses are possible depending on amount of boost and turbo, you have a choice between a 61 and a 76 mm.
Cougar on a diet to suck gas and haul ass!

Cain, Pony Express Racing

Turbo or Blower?

Reply #5
I am going with a brand new Vortech V3 and a set of GT40X heads, just for cost and ease of installation.