Skip to main content
Topic: piston hole? (Read 1469 times) previous topic - next topic

piston hole?

What is the round hole for? There from a 91 HO engine.

piston hole?

Reply #1
Usually an orientation mark showing  which way to install the piston  IE:  hole,notch  goes toward the front ,,, however I have never seen a circle like that myself
Fox-less at the moment

piston hole?

Reply #2
It designates FRONT. Their are all kinds of markings in different engines. Why Ford did it this way i have NO CLUE.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

piston hole?

Reply #3
Yeah, I thought maybe but I've never noticed it on the other SO's I've had. So that should be to the front then rite?

piston hole?

Reply #4
Ok awesome, thanks for the quick answer. Now I can finish the pistons tonite

piston hole?

Reply #5
Speed hole :mullet:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

piston hole?

Reply #6

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

piston hole?

Reply #7
Quote from: hypostang;365959
Usually an orientation mark showing  which way to install the piston  IE:  hole,notch  goes toward the front ,,, however I have never seen a circle like that myself

Can anyone identify the long slot in this piston?? And what it DOES??  On this photo posted by hypostang??
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

piston hole?

Reply #8
I am guessing some type of oil drain for oil cooling?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

piston hole?

Reply #9
I have no idea what that slot is for , I grabbed the pic from Google images .
Fox-less at the moment