Skip to main content
Topic: Junkyard visit in Sweden, OSBY (Read 7655 times) previous topic - next topic

Junkyard visit in Sweden, OSBY

Reply #15
Quote from: Shadow;377045

to each his own, chuck.. i think they're uglier than saturns.. and saturns are pretty fugly!

I'd drive a Saturn before I'd drive an S10 or a Cutlass, and I'll never drive a Saturn, so...I guess it's even.  My 240's get as many comments as my Tbird does, even the beater wagon.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #16
Quote from: Chuck W;377038
Volvos are awesome, especially the 240's. A much better base chassis than the Foxes, IMO. Your loss.

WORD :cool:
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #17
Quote from: Chuck W;377046
I'd drive a Saturn before I'd drive an S10 or a Cutlass, and I'll never drive a Saturn, so...I guess it's even.  My 240's get as many comments as my Tbird does, even the beater wagon.

like i said, to each his own.. volvos = :barf: in my book
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #18
Quote from: Shadow;377029
i'd rather be shot in the face, than drive a volvo LOL
Quote from: Shadow;377066
like i said, to each his own.. volvos = :barf: in my book

Another derailed thread. :barf: in my book.
Don't ever mention saturn here again, also. Or the car gods will be most displeased.

Looking at your sig...shouldn't you be cutting up another S10?.....
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #19
The thread derailed a while ago so I must ask, what do you pay for a decent 240 in the US? I paid a little bit over $$2000 for my 88 T-bird in Sweden. In condition it was way below decent. Swedish salty roads had the car for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Just have to say it's in good hands now ;) Been fully restored over a period of four years and it's almost done ;)

Reply #20
Nah, just nut swinging about his 22r with 300k on its 4th rebuild. Toyota guys and chevy's seem to go together, almost like they build cars for each other...

I actually almost bough a turbo volvo wagon from a kid before I got my first cougar. Car was awesome. Good gas mileage, not super fast, but fast enough for a high school kid, and the other guy always got pulled over while we were racing.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #21
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;377104
Looking at your sig...shouldn't you be cutting up another S10?.....

actually, i am for a minitub.. smartass lmao :flip:

Quote from: Haystack;377113
Nah, just nut swinging about his 22r with 300k on its 4th rebuild.

actually, 98k on the original motor.. ;)

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #22
Quote from: Thunderbird88;377112
I paid a little bit over $$2000 for my 88 T-bird in Sweden. In condition it was way below decent. Swedish salty roads had the car for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

it's somewhat nice to know us here on the east coast/northern part of the US aren't the only 1's dealing with rust.. man, you would be sick to your stomach if you saw what little rust US west coast cars get to be classified as 'junkyard material' for a lot of car guys out there.. they'd be singing a different tune if they saw what we're left to salvage on this end of the country, on a daily basis

Reply #23
The thread derailed a while ago so I must ask, what do you pay for a decent 240 in the US? I paid a little bit over $$2000 for my 88 T-bird in Sweden. In condition it was way below decent. Swedish salty roads had the car for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Just have to say it's in good hands now ;) Been fully restored over a period of four years and it's almost done ;)

Well, 240's are more common here than TBirds are in Sweden, so there is that factor, but a decent clean stock-ish 240 can go for fair money.  I've seen them from $2,000-$4,000.  Ratty ones go for less, pretty much in line with the TBirds/Cougars do here.  These are prices I see for "hobbyist" cars, and not "time capsules".

Reply #24
http://southjersey.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=volvo+240&srchType=T&minAsk=&maxAsk=

just to give you an idea of what some are going for, over here in the US.. mind you, some people on craigslist are a bit crazy on asking price

Reply #25

As an even further derailment, seeing as you're in Sweden, you might have easier access to a grill I'm looking for for my 244TIC.  Shipping might be a bitch, but hrmmm..... *ponders*

Reply #26
Quote from: Shadow;377123
http://southjersey.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=volvo+240&srchType=T&minAsk=&maxAsk=

just to give you an idea of what some are going for, over here in the US.. mind you, some people on craigslist are a bit crazy on asking price

So much money for so little car ... You don't get very much when buying a Volvo imo. Sure it's a reliable car but in the US it must be a useless car when there's not many spare parts to come by. In Sweden they're "great" just because there's so much spare parts available.

Quote from: Chuck W;377126
As an even further derailment, seeing as you're in Sweden, you might have easier access to a grill I'm looking for for my 244TIC.  Shipping might be a bitch, but hrmmm..... *ponders*

http://www.blocket.se/vastmanland?q=Volvo+240+grill&cg=1040&w=3&st=s&c=0&ca=9&l=0&md=th
If you use google chrome just let it translate ;)
For example one guy was selling a 740 grill for 100:- (SEK) which is rougly 15 dollars ;) Just devide the price by 7 and you get roughly the price in US dollars.
I bet you I could get one for free lol.

Reply #27
Quote from: Thunderbird88;377133
So much money for so little car ... You don't get very much when buying a Volvo imo. Sure it's a reliable car but in the US it must be a useless car when there's not many spare parts to come by. In Sweden they're "great" just because there's so much spare parts available.

http://www.blocket.se/vastmanland?q=Volvo+240+grill&cg=1040&w=3&st=s&c=0&ca=9&l=0&md=th
If you use google chrome just let it translate ;)
For example one guy was selling a 740 grill for 100:- (SEK) which is rougly 15 dollars ;) Just devide the price by 7 and you get roughly the price in US dollars.
I bet you I could get one for free lol.

Actually, the Volvo groups here are not too bad, and most stuff isn't *too* difficult to come by.  The community for the Fox TBirds/Cougars here pales in comparison.  Then again, the 240s were avail from '75-93 here, while the Fox Tbirds/Cougars only from 83-88 (80-82 as well if you count the Box ones).  Companies also make parts for the 240s still, instead of folks having to adapt a bunch of Mustang stuff or dig for good used parts.

This is the grille I'm looking for.

I have the quads with the "coffin" hood, but have a flat hood I want to use. 

If you come across one, and the shipping won't be a killer, perhaps we can work something out. ;)

Reply #28
I'll keep an eye for that grill when I hit the yard this Summer, And if my dad doesnt try to steal it...
My dad has an '83 240DL Wagon N/A~Handling on that thing is fantastic, And the transmission is freaking indestructible...
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Reply #29
Quote from: Romeo2k;377140
I'll keep an eye for that grill when I hit the yard this Summer, And if my dad doesnt try to steal it...
My dad has an '83 240DL Wagon N/A~Handling on that thing is fantastic, And the transmission is freaking indestructible...

Well, that's a hard grille to find stateside.  It was only offered in '83 on some of the turbo cars.