Skip to main content
Topic: I finally found my cobra wheels! (Read 2821 times) previous topic - next topic

I finally found my cobra wheels!

In the depths of hocking ohio, I ventured hours into nothing-ness in pursuit of a craigslist ad containing 1994 cobra wheels. The gentleman has them listed for $300 obo, they were in great shape, had the center caps, and decent tires on them. I loaded them up for $250 and now it looks like my 5 lug swap is starting!

I'm stoked. Pix following...
1988 T-Bird LX- Awaiting HO build, Monster "Eat My Shift" AOD rated 550Hp. BBK ceramic shorties, Jegs mustang (catless) H-Pipe. mustang catback modified axle back for tbird, 94 17" Cobra wheels, 98 'Stang GT 8.8 Traction-lock

Reply #1

1988 T-Bird LX- Awaiting HO build, Monster "Eat My Shift" AOD rated 550Hp. BBK ceramic shorties, Jegs mustang (catless) H-Pipe. mustang catback modified axle back for tbird, 94 17" Cobra wheels, 98 'Stang GT 8.8 Traction-lock

Reply #2
The guy actually had a 94' cobra sitting there with his new deep dishes on it, they seem well taken care of. All were stamped 06 24 of 94. Now I have to go through my old posts to remember what all I need to do this.

I found 1995 spindles from ebay anywhere from $100-200, i think ill buy new hubs though and save on the shipping and opt for JUST spindles. Then I'm going to get the basic discs from advance auto and perhaps ebay some cobra calipers? I would like 2004 cobra brakes on it without buying the ford racing kit basically.

Reply #3
Wow.  those wheels look great.  It's like a different vehicle.

Reply #4
I got a set of goodyear eagle gt's that came off of a porsche today, still have 7/32 tread left. Turns out the tires my new rims came with were 275 width, now I have 235 width which looks like it will fit underneath. There is a 1998 mustang 8.8 axle for sale on craigslist this week. What sn-95 do I want to hunt down for a rear axle to match the width of the 95 / fox spindles?

Reply #5
Quote from: blain_gatterdam;365609
What sn-95 do I want to hunt down for a rear axle to match the width of the 95 / fox spindles?

Any of 'em. 94-98 Stangs have the same width rear (axle  to axle ) that your '88 has. Has nothing to with the front, with regards to width, height, or what planetary system it orbits..etc.

Read the sticky in Drivetrain..the info you seek is several posts down. I'm going to do the same thing you're about to....IF I can find either a Stang rear, or the whole ed car for parts..lol

In fact, for 150, you can't beat that, especially if the rear is already pulled for ya. Just make sure it has the calipers, rotors, and all the brackets you'll need.

I'll swap all the stuff onto mine as I already have the axles, and the 8.8, I just need the brake parts themselves. Keep me posted on how yours goes. :D
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #6
Gotcha, I just saw it not too long ago. And by the front I'm just saying to match the tracking width wise, since the 95 spindles wont move the wheels out, so a 98 wouldnt move the wheels either, etc. would give me the same tracking front to rear as my fox setup.

Reply #7
'94-'95 spindles move the wheel out by a tiny bit...not sure on the exact amount, but '96 and up spindles move it out quite a bit. However...the rears are all the same width, 94 thru '98.

Basically, it's not worth the worry, but to keep at least your stock width in the rear, you'll need/want the axles from a '94-'98 stang.

Do you already have the front 5 lug stuff?
There's no benefit really to either or, unless you're dead set on stock wheels...you can use the '96 and up spindles, even though they move your hub out, and run wheels with less backspace to keep the track similar to stock....it's easy to overthink this stuff..lol
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #8
well I found a set on ebay for a 95, so thats what I have my eyes on for my 235 wide 94 cobras up front.