Skip to main content
Topic: my new 83 TC (Read 8704 times) previous topic - next topic

my new 83 TC

Reply #15
well i got the call from the machine shop on the head today, good news its not cracked thats about where the good news ended, needs new valves and guides and a valve job. bummer

my new 83 TC

Reply #16
[/URL][/IMG]

my new 83 TC

Reply #17
new valves, SI intakes and Fererra exhausts, head should be done soon then I will just have to pay for it.[/URL][/IMG]

my new 83 TC

Reply #18
I had PEP performance valves in my head. They were 1.89" intake and 1.59" exhaust and they didnt have the stupid second o-ring groove like chevys do. I hope the machine shop nows what they're doing, with setting spring pressure. The first head I had on my old ranger had 1.84" chevy intake valves, I had to install the keepers in the o-ring groove and use offset keepers to get the spring pressure where I wanted it. Needless to say I wasn't happy with it and a couple months later I pulled the head and installed hardened seats and the PEP valves. Spring pressures were perfect with just small shims.

PS, good luck and nice bird.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

my new 83 TC

Reply #19
yah the place I bought the valves from does alot of 2.3 n/a motors for circle track they said they have never had any problems with the si 2 groove, they said just install your keeper in the upper groove. the guy doing the head work has been doing fords for a long time, very good with 2.3 work.

my new 83 TC

Reply #20
Quote from: fourplaymotorsports;383962
yah the place I bought the valves from does alot of 2.3 n/a motors for circle track they said they have never had any problems with the si 2 groove, they said just install your keeper in the upper groove. the guy doing the head work has been doing fords for a long time, very good with 2.3 work.

My first job as a machinist was with a guy that built the hell out of 2.3L race engines. I love 2.3Ls, they're by fair my favorite engine ever. 351C is a close second and the 289 would be third. Turning my old 2.3 7500rpms was music to my ears. No Im not crying, I just miss her so much. LOL.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

my new 83 TC

Reply #21
Quote from: fourplaymotorsports;380887
well i got the call from the machine shop on the head today, good news its not cracked thats about where the good news ended, needs new valves and guides and a valve job. bummer

Must be the last 2.3 turbo head that isn't cracked!

Travis

my new 83 TC

Reply #22
Quote from: turbotrav;383999
Must be the last 2.3 turbo head that isn't cracked!

Travis

don't say that! if i pull my head and it's cracked, i'm blaming you! lol
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

my new 83 TC

Reply #24
yah I had two backups but I was glad this one was good, would have been a waste of a good port job.

my new 83 TC

Reply #25
finally picked the head up[/URL][/IMG]

my new 83 TC

Reply #26
my 83 Heritage is the Silver twin to your car.  I have TRX wheels on mine, but the Ten holes look good on yours.  Great score....more pics please!

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

my new 83 TC

Reply #27
picked up a few more parts, gutted rotated upper with larger TB, billet intermediate shaft[/URL][/IMG] gear, adjustable cam sprocket, belt tensioner, and a ceramic coated header

my new 83 TC

Reply #28
almost made a big mistake and sold the car tonight, came to my senses before it was too late and declined the offer. Thank god I know I would have regretted that decision, now its game on that car is gonna be running this month

my new 83 TC

Reply #29
Ah good you came to your senses.:D I almost made the same mistake a couple years ago, glad I didn't :)
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L