Skip to main content
Topic: Turbo Problems (Read 5803 times) previous topic - next topic

Turbo Problems

Reply #30
http://racerwalsh.zoovy.com/product/RWA1401/23-Turbo-roller-hyd-cam-400.html

http://racerwalsh.zoovy.com/product/RWA1431R/Racer-Walsh-Stage-1-Hyd-roller-camshaft-Ford-23L-OHC.html

I found these little guys, took me a while to find the site but once I found it I googled it and it seems fairly well spoken of.  Just thought I would check for an opinion.
1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (daily driver) - T5, Short Throw, Ranger roller cam (soon to be Boport 1.5), stock turbo and TMIC (also soon to change.)

Turbo Problems

Reply #31
Tom, I would also recommend new pistons when going with a clean, ground up build. However, if you have a good condition short block, I'd still  either cut the stockers, or not touch them, depending on my goals. As for a Boport head making more power, I'll have to argue that point. I truly don't think anyone has ever truly tapped the full potential of the Volvo head in a turboford application. I do know that the most power made with a Boport IRON head was 597rwhp. I believe, with the same amount of port work and reground cams, the Volvo head would surpass that number.
The pistons in your link are Sealed Power/Federal Mogul flat tops. I'd have to say you cut them to drop the static compression ratio down to a turbo-tolerant level. I'm curious why you didn't setup a rotary talble on your mill and duplicate the factory dish shape, thereby retaining the factory quench area? BTW, I really wish Sealed Power/Federal Mogul, or whoever owns them now, would start making those forged slugs again. It was alot easier to pony up $260 than the $400+ it takes to buy quality pistons now.
To address the OP's cam question: If you're going to go drop that much coin on a cam, go BOPORT. They're are other manufacturers that make a roller cam for the 2.3T, but the amount of work and testing that Bo's put into his cams specifically for the turbo applications, is probably unmatched.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Turbo Problems

Reply #32
From what I understand Bo is awol.  So Bo-port is out of the question.  What's second on the list?
1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (daily driver) - T5, Short Throw, Ranger roller cam (soon to be Boport 1.5), stock turbo and TMIC (also soon to change.)

Turbo Problems

Reply #33
Where did  you hear Bo is AWOL? I know he's a busy guy, but he's always answered my questions when I've emailed him. I'd wait on a Bo cam.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.

Turbo Problems

Reply #34
On the forums.  He's moving or something, this was a while ago, but his website is down as well.  I guess I'll just try to hit him up on the forums then?  I will probably just get a set of stock valve springs and a Crane .420 roller cam and followers from summit as this car needs to be running by Tuesday.  This cam is not going to stay in this car, it will go in the other Turbo Coupe when it becomes my daily driver and THEN I will get a Boport, if I can.  The cam I want to pay big bucks for I don't have a set up to support, so I will wait.  It will only be about $250 for the cam and followers.  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRN-194621/
I'm just going to get stock valve springs and replace them, as mine were stock... 24 years ago.  I also discovered that my intake hose didn't have the spring in it, so it's been collapsing and sucking oil through my PCV.  I'm going to clean the hell out of the PCV tonight and order a new one from Forced4 Thursday.  I also get the pleasure of cleaning out my Intercooler, I'm just debating between Kerosene or alcohol as the cleaner.  Alcohol would work better, but higher chance of "BOOM!"  Either way it will have a few days to air out, so I'm not really worried about it.

So do you think that cam will hold up to the test of time in a daily driver?  I'm not wanting a power house, but this is a decent mid band street cam and I have always respected Crane cams.  Might not be quite as amazing as Boport, but for my applications it should be able to do almost as well, right?

Turbo Problems

Reply #35
If i am not mistaken CRANE is OUT OF BUSINESS??? But that cam is a nice choice for a DD. . I on the other hand have a different perspective of a cam. I like them NASTY to say the least. Not a bad cam  for the money. It will work very nicely. Good luck

Are you sure its a ROLLER CAM. They are showing sliders on te web site. Either way you can use rollers on a slider cam i have dun it and it works.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Turbo Problems

Reply #36
Quote from: TOM Renzo;365282
If i am not mistaken CRANE is OUT OF BUSINESS??? But that cam is a nice choice for a DD. . I on the other hand have a different perspective of a cam. I like them NASTY to say the least. Not a bad cam  for the money. It will work very nicely. Good luck

Backstock?  I thought they were too, or perhaps some one purchased them, again.  Either way the cam is for sale, so I will probably pick it up.  Aside from Boport, no one has given me a good second option for something I could simply buy today and have in a few days.  Sitting in factory head, with stock intake/exhaust manifolds, stock VAM (soon to be the SVO VAM with CAI) Stock Valves, what cam should I be aiming for?  I want to know both of your personal preferences so far as the metrics of a cam are concerned.

Turbo Problems

Reply #37
Well, in my stuborness I will be going with a roller cam.  The one I picked out was a flat tappet,  the thing that sucks is the roller followers are expensive... very expensive compared to the stock ones and other flat tappet followers.  $234 worth of expensive.  http://racerwalsh.zoovy.com/product/RWA1485/23L-Roller-Cam-Followers.html
The cam is actually not that bad all things considered.  http://racerwalsh.zoovy.com/product/RWA1431R/Racer-Walsh-Stage-1-Hyd-roller-camshaft-Ford-23L-OHC.html

Can I use the rocker arms from the ranger swap with this cam?  If so then I can pick up a set from a friend and save a few dollars.

Turbo Problems

Reply #38
Yes,  you can use ranger roller followers on an aftermarket roller cam. Yes, new roller followers are very expensive. Bo's email and website are down.  Call him @ 510-979-9211. You will glad you did if your looking to spend that on a cam.

Turbo Problems

Reply #39
That's the information I was wanting.  :)  All of it, that is.  Well, Ranger roller followers, check.  Valve springs, check. High temp paint for the valve cover, tomorrow.  Calling Bo and finally ordering a cam, also tomorrow as he didn't answer tonight, safe to assume it's to late.

Turbo Problems

Reply #40
Boport Cam, lifters and valve springs will be on their way tomorrow.  I got the 1.1 cam since I have nothing particularly special in my engine... yet.  He told me about the exchange service they offer and after I explained what I will be doing to this car he said the 1.5 will be what I need to end with, but the 1.1 will give me the best for what I have now.  My Roller rockers are on the way with an extra Ranger cam if any one wants to pick it up for cheap, lol.  If not then I have a strange looking club.  In the 10 minutes I spoke with Bo I learned a lot about this engine, so thank you for getting me his number.  ;)

Turbo Problems

Reply #41
One more quick question... one more of probably many, do I need the Boport HLA's?  I'm getting the ones from the Ranger as well, so will I need these?

Turbo Problems

Reply #42
I doubt the ones from the ranger will be the "wide band" style, which will allow you to shim them up for Bo's cam. So yes, you should use the ones Bo sends you. The oil groove in most HLA's available from the parts store's have a very narrow oil groove machined into them. The ones' Bo carries have a wider groove, which is why there refered to as "wide band". The wider groove becomes very necessary when you start shimming them up to make up for the difference in the stock cam, and one that's ground on a reduced base circle.

Turbo Problems

Reply #43
There is obviously more in this than I thought.  I need to shim them up?  Normally my grandfather always did my heads, so this is realistically my first hands on by myself head that I'm doing, so please be gentle as he is not in the physical condition any more to do what needs to be done... that and it's about time I started doing everything to my car myself.  Any help, instruction or advice would be nice, this is not something I feel comfortable leaving to google.  I'm going to scour Boports forums for some info as well.

Turbo Problems

Reply #44
Just a thought. When i first started to build HI PERFORMANCE 2.3 motors many MOONS ago the wide band lifters were not available. So i made my own by chucking them in the lathe and cutting a wide band in the body. I still do this today. But you will need wide BAND HLA'S if you shim them and BOW'S cams require shimming.  Small base circle cams require this. Good luck on your venture. Now buy the valve spring tool from OTC and learn the proper shimming procedure. Once again good luck
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!