Skip to main content
Topic: Turbo Ford Opinions (Read 758 times) previous topic - next topic

Turbo Ford Opinions

I have  a situation that I would like input about , 10 years ago when I moved to Tennessee I sold my 84 SVO Mustang to my brother .
It had a blown head gasket , so I couldn't drive it here ,
Well my brother pulled it apart and the head was cracked also .
Fast forward 10 years the car is still sitting in my brothers driveway still in pieces , he has never transferred the title over to his name, So it is still technically mine , he called me the other day and asked if I wanted it back ,,,for free .
The car is an original early 84 SVO and as of now all the SVO specific pieces are there , but the body is rough as it has lived in New England it's whole life .
 Thought I would like are if I were to get the car hauled here  , what should i do with it .

Here are my thought/ choices
I have no body work welding skills so .
1. I  totally re-body the car
2. swap all the SVO stuff to a V8 Gt fox body including the interior and exterior stuff
3. Try  to teach myself welding skills and restore the car over the course of many many months .
4. Part it out .

This picture was taken last month when I was there .
Fox-less at the moment

Turbo Ford Opinions

Reply #1
Alright Darryl, you asked for my thoughts..  GIVE IT TO ME!! LOL

I say Swap all the stuff, like make an SVO clone, if the body is actually that bad. With swapping all the interior and exterior SVO stuff to a rust free body, it will practically be the same car you had 10 years ago in a different shell, with tons of upgrades, I'm sure. I really love that hood too, BTW
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Turbo Ford Opinions

Reply #2
I loved that car , and I risk getting everyone's wrath when I admit this ..... I sold my 86 Turbo Coupe to buy the SVO in 1994 . the "body " isn't all that bad it the floor pans that are the worst part,,,,As far as exterior rust , the hole that Jerry fixed in his convertible  in this pic is much larger than the only hole I could find last month . The whole is in the same spot too lower rear  part of the door jamb /rear quarter .
Fox-less at the moment

Turbo Ford Opinions

Reply #3
If you have an emotional attachment to it, and it's REALISTICALY saveable, IHMO, you'd be a fool not to take your brother up on that offer. If you've described the rust accurately, I consider it a salvagable car.
Option #1: Labor intensive, not realistic, even for an 84 SVO.
Option #2: You may keep the essence of the SVO, but it will never be a true SVO again. Not an option I'd like to take.
Option #3: This is the option I'd personally take. But then again, I can weld and do metal/body work. If I couldn't, I'd learn for an 84 SVO.
Option #4: Only an option for a car that has more rust than body panels left, or a car that some twit has wadded into a ball. Non the option for this car.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Turbo Ford Opinions

Reply #4
I fully intend to take him up on the offer , what I do after I get it here is still up in the air , I have been looking to see if there is a welding class I can take around here.
I really think it could be saved too, Thanks for your input .
 I think the first step would to be gut the interior and get the car in the air to look at the sub structure .
Fox-less at the moment

Turbo Ford Opinions

Reply #5
Get the SVO back.
Get Jerry's phone number.
Get wrenchin'!

LOL :)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Turbo Ford Opinions

Reply #6
If you just want a V8 swap, compare price of shipping car and repair to price of another mustang.
I like the SVO look though and would totally snag it. But I have a 2.3t that needs a home also :P
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"