Skip to main content
Topic: UPDATE to the update on the cooling issue.... (Read 799 times) previous topic - next topic

UPDATE to the update on the cooling issue....

Alright, I have a thread about the Sport not cooling as she should....well, I kept everybody updates as I went through it....I now have the answer....I replaced the radiator with the 3 row (needed a new one anyway), and it helped a little, but not near enough. I replaced the thermostat with a 180 degree piece, and had no time to test it,so the Sport sat. I had mentioned in my other  thread that I thought it was the fan. I grabbed a replacement Taurus fan and spent about an hour installing it.

I pulled the radiator, removed the old fan, and installed the replacement fan. I fabbed two aluminum brackets for the bottom to support the weight, and, I thought it would look better not having the brackets at the top. I used the fan install kit I had and fastened it to the radiator. That thing isn't moving. Under the outer edges, to protect the radiator, I got some new rubber tubing I had, split it down the middle and used as edging for the plastic shroud edges. Looks sweet and very clean. I hooked it up to run on high when the car is running.

I took the car out today at lunch, drove a little bit, cleaned the car up, and went to lunch, using the a/c on the lunch trip, and the temp gauge never went past the half way mark. The Taurus fan flows about 2 1/2 times the amount of air as the Autozone 16 inch replacement I had (in a shroud). Makes a world of difference.

I also installed the polished 70mm throttle body and spacer this weekend as well.

After lunch, I came home and finished the sound deadener job I never finished...I pulled the door panels and went crazy. I installed the Dynomat on the face of the door, the inside of the doors, the backing of the face of the doors, and behind the door panels. SOLID. Now, I'm chillaxin' till work tomorrow. I had a nice productive 3 days...in the 105 degree weather, but, It's just an Oklahoma summer.

Now you know.....the REST....of the story.

'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #1
.......soooooo, what's next now that you solved this issue?    LOL
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Reply #2
I have a couple of things I need to fabricate (You'll see them when I fab them.....no hints). I also have to acquire funds for a couple of other things I need. I feel like I actually accomplished something substantial right now. Feels good.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
OH !!!!! I need to smooth and polish an IAC for the throttle body as well.

Reply #4
you need to polish that compressor next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #5
Quote from: daminc;363235
you need to polish that compressor next

You need to get that idea out of your head. If that was going to happen, it had to be when it was NOT mounted and charged.LOL.LOL. Plus, it gives contrast to the shiny stuff. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.LOL.

Reply #6
Sweet. Nice job on the tb and intake!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 t-bird: 5.0ho, gt40y, crane 2031, fms 1.7, paxton@5#, aod wide ratio, tci stall, performer rpm upper, 70mm bbk, pro m 60, 42#s, 3.73 7.5" posi, jba shorties, borla, upr x. 13.4 @ 104mph. cbaza, moates, tuned by decipha

Reply #7
Vinnie, that's a cool deal (shameless pun intended) lol
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #8
Thanks guys. I will do a little more polishing on the upper intake eventually, just haven't had the time. It still looks good as it is. I like it a lot better than the black wrinkle finish I got in....with the "Trick Flow" lettering on top.  The throttle body and spacer tie into it well. Better than the cast ones I had last week. Also, to be honest, this t-body actually feels better when you hit the gas. It seems smoother operating when I'm driving. Smooth is good. I still have to do something about the IAC. It's just not going to last in that shape. It needs to be shiny....with no mold lines.....