Skip to main content
Topic: I think I can....hopefully (Read 2195 times) previous topic - next topic

I think I can....hopefully

well not this next weekend but the following sunday (7/10/11), I'm thinking on going to Indianapolis, IN to the junkyard there. Reason being is because they have a, promotional thing, to which all the parts you can carry 20 ft, from line to line, is like $40.........I'm going  :crazy:

My plan is to find a aod from hopefully a T-bird supercoupe, rear bumper cover, and both taillights for my cougar......and anything else I may need.  Thing is I think I can carry it all, but the bumper is what worries me the most, falling or being too heavy...I don't know how heavy they can be but can't imagine way too much.

I also plan on getting it video recorded if I can get the G-friend to come along...and I'll have to make sure my phone is charged to record

If anyone else lives close enough to Indianapolis or wants to try to make it and don't know about this yet, here is the link  :sawzall:
http://indypicapart.com/specials.html

Reply #1
Will they let you load up a hood and drag it ?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #2
If it's like the ones in N.C. u can't drag it, it has to be carried. I have took a friend before so we could get a hood to load all we could fit on it, I put him on one side and me on the other. It cost us both $40 But we could carry alot of stuff for $80. We have even took a chain and bar to get a whole motor before.

Reply #3
As far as I know it has to be carried, even if its ⅞ inch above the ground......this will be my first time, (also the first time in since moving to indiana hitting a parts yard) I will have done anything like it.......all the yards up in michigan that I've been to (LKQ) have sales aroud the holidays, if I remember, like 30-50% off the total price. So I'm excited to go....sad thing is on my half is that the day before I'll be in michigan so I'm gonna have to leave by like 3-4am to get to the junkyard in Indianapolis...I'n up for a 5½ hour drive to spend $40ish for about $150 worth of parts and a 30 or 45 day warrenty (I think I spelled it wrong, warrenty, oh well...lol)

Reply #4
5 1/2 hour drive? Holy  !!!
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
I'm use to driving....I put 24,000 plus miles on my '85 cat one summer.....better said, I love to drive......the money I could have used for alcohol or smokes instead goes into my gas tank....and 5 hours is nothing to me, snow plowing in michigan gave me nights where I was out sometimes out plowing 28 hours in one shift

Reply #6
I don't think that AOD from a supercoupe will work. I thought I remember reading here that using it will but your shifter in some wack location....someone correct me if I'm wrong.
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Future: Budget 5.0 300 HP.

Reply #7
As far as I know and I think I read, a supercoupe aod will work....the shift linkage will have to be flip since its a floorshift car and my car is a colum shift....the thing I have to research is about the tailshaft between the two, something about 7-this and 8-this being changed it would still work but I don't remember right now....

Anyone know about how heavy the rear bumper cover weighs?

Reply #8
Ignore this exact post....my phone decided to double post.....grrr, I do NOT like my phone lately but nothing I can do today about it, oh well...it has been edited

Reply #9
Supercoupe Aod's will work, the M5R2 5 speeds are the ones that put your shifter in the dash...
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #10
Quote from: dustytheredneck;362712
I think I read something about 7-this and 8-this being changed but I don't remember right now....

http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/charts/129.pdf

(you have to have adobe reader to see it though)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #11
at the moment it sound like i will have to swap the spedo gear, if i want the right speedometer reading?

Reply #12
Yeah.
They're around 5 bucks at dealerships...just know what color and teeth you need before you go.

I counted the drive gear teeth on my T5, it's out of an '89 GT Stang, has 7 teeth. I'm running 3.55 gear ratio, and 225/60 tires...so I'd need a 20 tooth, black speedo gear...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #13
sweet......thanks for the info and that link.......i once had a truck magazine that had that formula in it but i lost the book when i moved

Reply #14
no prob, it's what we do here :)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6