Skip to main content
Topic: Problem with instrument cluster (Read 3268 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem with instrument cluster

So my cluster will not show the digits neither the speed nor the mileage. Everything else lights up the clock, radio, a/c controls, etc. Theres a backlight for the Lcd that light up but no numbers. Ive checked all my fuses that are linked with the instrument cluster. Anyone have a clue what could be going on?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #1
You probably need new bulbs behind the speedo section....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2
I just pulled it and the bulbs are fine :/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #3
If I'm thinking what's happening, the connector on the back of the cluster may have some corrosion or be loose.... my '85 cougar I had, closer to 200,000 mi my display would disapear and come back on due to bumps but the light stayed on....... it happened after I had the cluster out and changed the bulbs

Reply #4
Have you had the radio out by any chance? My 87 I had did that once and when I replaced the py radio someone put in it it pinched a wire and caused it.

Reply #5
Yeah i did replace the radio, I took the dash apart and check the connectors and the plugs and they look good. Are there any wires that run from the radio that can cause this?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #6
Pull your radio back out, you can leave it plugged in, and then check if you have your speed and mileage back. Read this also    http://www.coolcats.net/tech/troubleshooting/dash.html  read the fourth cause/correction

Reply #7
I have it pulled out right now and the ligh blue w/ red wire is not connected anywhere and as it says on coolcats that the lightgreen w/ yellow is the power because it doesnt work if thats not connected :/ at this point im thinking would it be easier to put in an buttstuffog cluster?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
I dont believe that a buttstuffog cluster is a plug and play swap, so you might want to see if anyone else has done it first. Did it make any difference in your speedo display with the radio pulled forward? I am not certain what year on coolcats is speaking of so I suppose its possible wiring harness's changed from year to year. I believe at one time there was a link on this site for a EVTM for a 87/88 Bird you could search that for the harness, I believe it was put up by jcassity. I know there are others on here with EVTM's that have posted up diagrams for stuff I have needed before. Are you saying the lite blue with red isnt connected or doesnt exist?

Reply #9
pretty sure you need to re-pin the harness and install all diff sensors for the gauges to work with the swap.... probably easier to fix your problem, then go through all that..... unless you really want that look of course
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #10
I wish I had the full digi gauges instead of the buttstuffog.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #11
Yeah i wish i had the full digital cluster too, but i have the base one :/ Ill try figuring something out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #12
Definately have to repin the plugs. I just did it, also because everything worked but the speedometer/odometer. They STILL dont work.... I dont know whats going on!
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

Reply #13
What do I have to do to adapt my digital speedometer to a c-6 trans? Is this possible?
1988 Thunderbird LX  557/C6 project. UPR tube K-member, A-Arms, Strange 10 way adjustable coilovers. SN-95 spindle,brakes. Manual rack, bump steer kit.  MM castor/camber plates, Dynatech 2 1/8 swap headers. Quick 9" 35 spline Moser axles,CHE lower c arms,

Reply #14
I have a full digi cluster to put in, but I wish there was a way to re-set the odometer to show my mileage
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook