Skip to main content
Topic: Car dies + side of highway = pushing and tired (Read 1488 times) previous topic - next topic

Car dies + side of highway = pushing and tired

Last night I decided to go for a drive cause it was so nice out, I'm out for about 20 minutes or so and I stop at a light........ car dies:punchballs:. So not to be sitting in the way of everyone since I'm first at the light, I started to push the car as close to the gas station I could through other parking lots......by time I got it to the gas station (a good 1/4 mi and another 20 minutes later), I put gas in thinking the gauge is wrong and I'm out of gas...... no luck:toilet:, could not hear the pump:disappoin:, fuses good, relay good.

Are there any brand of fuel pumps I should not buy or can I just go and get the replacement that the local O'rileys or AutoZone has?  I though about looking on ebay, maybe??:dunno:

another Q is...... is there anything else I should check while the tank is out?

Reply #1
Check the tank itself. When I removed mine to change a pump I found the tank was very rusty and actually had a couple pin holes in it. I would imagine one from the local parts store is fine, but it may have a pump/fuel sender combination. These cars came with a pump and a separate sending unit.

Reply #2
Do one more simple thing: check the inertia switch. While it's an unlikely event to occur, it's very easy to check. It should be in the trunk, perhaps mounted near the taillights.

I've read that they can trip by hitting a pothole or train tracks. If it tripped, it will interrupt the voltage to the fuel pump.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #3
Quote from: cougarcragar;361645
Do one more simple thing: check the inertia switch. While it's an unlikely event to occur, it's very easy to check. It should be in the trunk, perhaps mounted near the taillights.

I've read that they can trip by hitting a pothole or train tracks. If it tripped, it will interrupt the voltage to the fuel pump.

That's very true. I once accidentally bumped into a snow bank and shut the car off. Came out from the store and my car wouldn't start.

Reply #4
I've used Autozone pumps with no issues. Just tell them you want one for a '91(ish) Mustang GT.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
Yeah, to back up Vinnie..get one for an HO 5.0 car.

Then, if you ever swap in the 5.0 later on, you're already that far ahead...if not, well, it won't hurt and it's probably the same price anyway lol
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #6
Thanks for the tips......as for the mustang fuel pump won't be happening with my ever so tight checkbook so the stock will have ta do....for now anyways.  Oh btw, it wasn't the inertia switch... I used jumpers to bypass the relay and inertia switch to see if anything would happen but no luck

I also forgot to mention that the last couple weeks I have been having issues of having to double or triple start the car the first time each day....and also whenever I would try to take off quick to beat traffic (½ throttle or more instantly) it would spit and spudder and buck for a moment or two, then take off...like starving for gas

So far I have bought a pump off Ebay for about $25 (and a pair of 5000k xenon headlight for $10

Reply #7
Thanks for the tips......as for the mustang fuel pump won't be happening with my ever so tight checkbook so the stock will have ta do....for now anyways.  Oh btw, it wasn't the inertia switch... I used jumpers to bypass the relay and inertia switch to see if anything would happen but no luck

I also forgot to mention that the last couple weeks I have been having issues of having to double or triple start the car the first time each day....and also whenever I would try to take off quick to beat traffic (½ throttle or more instantly) it would spit and spudder and buck for a moment or two, then take off...like starving for gas

So far I have bought a pump off Ebay for about $25 (and a pair of 5000k xenon headlight for $10).  See what I get when they come and if they work.....should know by next weekend how it goes

Reply #8
kinda forgot i had this thread going..... but anyways i did get the new pump, and installed, running better than before......its has been in for about a week now so i think the $21 pump should last me for awhile..... as for the headlights, I'm having issues with them and went back to the old, yellow, dim, stock headlight for the moment. i do think they are original just cause they took FOREVER to get out and the layer of dirt, grime, and dust on them

Reply #9
Sand the headlights down, buff, and polish. They'll look new again. Wetsand starting with 600 grit, then 1000, 1500, and finally 2000. Then use a rubbing compound for any final touches, and then finish off with a good plastic polish.
88 Camaro RS - 355/TH350
87 Thunderbird Sport - 302 (351 going in)/AOD

Reply #10
Sorry I didn't explain more but not its not the yellowing of the lense....its the bulbs themself......the new lights will work fine for awhile , then one will dim, work again....then go out, and more....I think I may have to get new connectors and some dielectric (probally spelled it wrong) grease....for tonight stock bulbs work and they keep me from getting pulled over by Mr. Officer