Skip to main content
Topic: Keypad module location? (Read 1855 times) previous topic - next topic

Keypad module location?

After a disappointing trip to the Ford dealer i still can't locate the code for my keypad, i was told that if the code isn't on the trunk hinge that it's stamped on the module itself. Where exactly is it in the car?

'85 Thunderbird Elan 5.0

Keypad module location?

Reply #1
on my 88 it is behind the rear seat...attached to the metal tray.

Keypad module location?

Reply #2
Like in the trunk? or do i have to remove the seat to get to it? The service desk at the dealer said it would most likely be under the dash on the drivers side but i couldn't find it.

Keypad module location?

Reply #3
my 88 was in the trunk..... had to remove the cover in the trunk that hides the bottom of the rear speakers and back of the seat...... then on the metal tray should be a bolt or two to remove and it should swing down........ once thats down you should see a module or 2 and on one of them should be a sticker with 5 numbers, ie 13597...... there's your code...... I'll post a couple pics. as my phone works

Keypad module location?

Reply #4
ok, found it. You're right, it's behind the seat in the trunk between the rear speakers, for my car it was a black box and the number was taped on the back facing away from the deck lid.

Keypad module location?

Reply #5
do you know about the passenger door unlock, trunk release, and how to lock the doors with the number pad?

Keypad module location?

Reply #6
Quote from: dustytheredneck;361250
do you know about the passenger door unlock, trunk release, and how to lock the doors with the number pad?

No, i've got the driver door unlock down, but when i fudged a few buttons the trunk popped at random. Didn't know there was even a procedure for the pass. door.

Keypad module location?

Reply #7
Yea.... after you put the code in,within a few seconds, press the 3/4 button to unlock the passenger door.......also within a few seconds of the code, pushing the 5/6 button will pop the trunk....you can use either one or both but like I said within 1 - 5 second after entering the code............at any time with or with out the code you can lock the doors by pushing both 7/8 and 9/0 buttons.  There is a way to change or add another 5 numerical code but I never messed with it and I don't have an owners manual to the car.  Hope you get the hang of the keypad, I use mine all the time

Keypad module location?

Reply #8
84 Owner's Manual:

Keypad module location?

Reply #9
would the auto door lock when place in gear work on any of the 83-88 car, or was it only during certain years...... my 88 don't auto-lock...... could something be wrong with it if its suppose to?

Keypad module location?

Reply #10
Quote from: dustytheredneck;361364
would the auto door lock when place in gear work on any of the 83-88 car, or was it only during certain years...... my 88 don't auto-lock...... could something be wrong with it if its suppose to?

Don't know, but on my 01 Grand Marquis the auto lock can be activated or deactivated.
To activate or deactivate auto-lock:
Key in your 5 digit code.
Press and hold 7/8
Press and release 3/4
Release 7/8

To activate/deactivate horn chirp:
Key in your 5 didit code
Press and hold 7/8
Press and release 1/2
Release 7/8

The door will lock/unlock to confirm successful programming.

Keypad module location?

Reply #11
I tried that on my car...... nothing worked........ oh well for now, its not like it bugs me too much..... figure it out another day when I can work on it........ it suck having all this time but apartment complex wont allow working on cars at all