Skip to main content
Topic: Parts car? (Read 1059 times) previous topic - next topic

Parts car?

Hey guys,

I think I need to get a 87-88 Cougar 5.0 as a parts car.  I've always had a thing for not sping a perfectly good car but I think I could use a buncha spare trim parts for my 88 XR7 and my 83 Continental needs a handful of SEFI parts for its EEC-IV conversion.  The Conti needs accessory brackets, TV cable, cruise control module, washer fluid bottle, stuff like that.

Where have you guys found your parts cars?  Internet searches are turning up nothing for now. I'll try some second hand car lots in a few weeks, but any advise would be appreciated.
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

Re: Parts car?

Reply #1
Most of mine have come from auctions, but trader papers, newspapers, even just riding around and asking about one that is setting with flat tires/expired tages, etc. have netted cars for me.

I know where there is a running $500(askin price) 5 speed '87 Turbo Coupe. Its kinda rough but no rust, just gotta decide if I want to take on another Birdie...

Reply #2
Mostly find mine through someone who knows someone who has one in the back field kinda thing or through adds in the newspaper but the pre and post 80-82 models are easier to find and driving around usually nets a few possible parts cars
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #3
I don't have a whole car to spare, but I could probably supply you with the EFI parts you need. I have an 87 XR7 that I have completely gutted for racing. I'm switching it to a Holley TBI, so I have the entire SEFI system just laying around. I also have all the brackets and accessories. Actually the only things I am keeping at this point are the short block, and the alternator. If you need anything email me at tim.roberts@us.army.mil.

Reply #4
Thank you for the offer, I already have the SEFI ready to go, I really need a whole car.  Well I need it like I need a hole in my head. :) I figure the big perk to getting my own parts car is that I get a whole lotta spare trim for my Cougar, while getting the brackets and other  for about the price I'd get them individually at a pick and pull lot.
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way