Skip to main content
Topic: yet antoher exhaust question (Read 846 times) previous topic - next topic

yet antoher exhaust question

:crazy: reading on cool cats web site. "88 cougar remained un-changed from 87 except for all 5.0's got dual exhaust". by inferance if i could find listings for 88 cougar exhaust from 5.0 i could get off the shelf duals for my 87 t-bird 5.0?? even if i could get specs or bend cards have a local shop bend up the tubes to factory specs? Is there some subtle difference between the cougar and t-bird that would make this swap not possible. :grinno:  :bricks1:
Baylensman 97 XR7

Re: yet antoher exhaust question

Reply #1
nope, you can use 88 dule exhaust on a 87, but its not true dule exhaust, and anyway most exhaust shops are assholes and wout even touch it. EXPECIALY anything before the cats. your best and cheapest bet would probley be to get stock mustang exhaust from the exhaust ports back to the factory mustang h-pipe. then have them  your yourself make up a system. thats also going to be realy cheap if you have no emmissions, senc a offroad h-pipe is so much cheaper. i know lots of guys hear who went threw hell trying to get an exhaust place to do dule exhaust on their car. they all say "we cant" or "its impossable"...

Re: yet antoher exhaust question

Reply #2
Quote from: Manson
nope, you can use 88 dule exhaust on a 87, but its not true dule exhaust, .......i know lots of guys hear who went threw hell trying to get an exhaust place to do dule exhaust on their car. they all say "we cant" or "its impossable"...

I used the 88 y-pipe setup on my 87 myself, all in all it was about $300 samolians after parts and labor. After it was done... well all I have to say is I regret doing it that way. It doesn't look that great, sound nice, and the guy who did it somewhat half assed it. Now i'm gonna end up going back and doing it over the right way (true dual with h-pipe) and by myself.

As for getting it done, I went through that myself. everyplace except for the last one I went too said it would cost to much, wasn't worth it,  or couldn't be done period. Well even though I ultimately won the argument in the end, like I said, I regret it. Trust me, take your time and research parts and setups BEFORE you go through with doing. You won't regret it!
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...