Skip to main content
Topic: ported head swap (Read 1269 times) previous topic - next topic

ported head swap

blown head gasket

now for the swap

i forgot to take a pic of the intake side but i got that fully ported and port match to the felpro race gasket.
the exhaust side a got port match to my copper gasket then fully ported out.
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

ported head swap

Reply #1
NICE !!! That'll make you feel better.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

ported head swap

Reply #2
2 things.

1. What head gasket is that?  1031?  If so, since I doubt you had the block surfaced, did you triple-check to make sure it was flat and smooth? Otherwise you will most likely have problems.

2. It is rarely a good idea to port the intake side to match the gasket.  The ports on the gasket are HUGE, and there is no way to fully port the head and intake to keep even close to the same port area along the intake tract.  You wind up with a point where the runner expands and contracts before entering the comb chamber.  Not good for flow at all.

Just a couple things to be mindful of.

EDIT: OK, I can see the HG part number one of the pics.  Not a 1031.  Good.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

ported head swap

Reply #3
thank you vinnie! it sure is alot more fun to drive when i can break 275 tires loose in 2nd gear when its dry!

Chuck,The intake side is gasket match but it doesnt hold the same width all the way in. The ports get alittle smaller as the go in. it flowed 219cfm on the intake and 183cfm on the exhaust side but then again it might flow alittle differently with intakes actually on.
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

ported head swap

Reply #4
Where did you obtain said head from? What model flow bench was used to obtain the numbers?
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

ported head swap

Reply #5
Well i took it to a machine shop near by that has done alot of 2.3 head work. They have 2 cars that won local circle track races with 2.3s sohc in them. I have no idea about the flow bench type. Do those numbers same fake or something?

ported head swap

Reply #6
Those numbers sound good to me. I got about the same numbers when I ported the head on my old ranger. I had 1.89" intakes and 1.59" exhaust valves.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.