Skip to main content
Topic: Problem.. (Read 2229 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem..

Having a problem with the cougar, has a nasty hesitation. On a normal car you push the gas instantly the engine revs. The problem I'm having is you push the gas and it bogs down almost to the stalling point but than revs up. Once your moving it has no problem you hit it and it kicks right in with no hesitation. Not sure what it is??? Also don't know if it's related but my gas mileage has gone down as well???? kinda sucks when you try and take off from a parking lot and it has that hesitation.
:ford::oldcougar::mercury:

Problem..

Reply #1
I'm thinking TPS?
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Problem..

Reply #3
That was KOEO incase you couldn't tell. Ran outta light was gonna get one with it running.

Problem..

Reply #4
that shows up as 11 11. System pass.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Problem..

Reply #5
EGR valve.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Problem..

Reply #6
...or maybe I can't read it either:dunno:
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Problem..

Reply #7
Got me... I know it's annoying though. I need a nice day off to look into it.

Problem..

Reply #8
Just thought of another thing.. Don't know if it has anything to do with the problem but I had someone tell me it smells like the car is running real rich....

Problem..

Reply #9
Actually I tend to believe that's pretty normal for 3.8s
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Problem..

Reply #10
Fuel pressure regulator? If you need one, i have a nice chrome stocker in excellent shape you can have............if a 5.0 FPR is the same. I have no idea.  It's just taking up space in the rolling tool box.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Problem..

Reply #11
Quote from: vinnietbird;362835
If you need one, i have a nice chrome stocker in excellent shape you can have

If he doesn't want it , I do ;)
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Problem..

Reply #12
Quote from: vinnietbird;362835
Fuel pressure regulator? If you need one, i have a nice chrome stocker in excellent shape you can have............if a 5.0 FPR is the same. I have no idea.  It's just taking up space in the rolling tool box.

According to rock auto they are the same. I think I'll take you up on that offer.... Let me know what I owe ya.

Problem..

Reply #13
Gonna try and tackle this real soon... Anyway to test the TPS?

Problem..

Reply #14
The proper way to test a TPS is with a SCOPE. But lacking one you can use a Digital volt meter. Back probe sig-ret (blk-wht) and (dark grn-lt grn) and do a sweep of the voltage. It should sweep with no glitches or drop outs. Normally voltage runs .9-4.8V Closed to WOT.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!