Skip to main content
Topic: AOD issues...is it almost dead? (Read 1926 times) previous topic - next topic

AOD issues...is it almost dead?

I just bought myself another cougar to replace my 85 cat.....an 88 cougar with 5.0 and aod with about 139,000 miles......since the begining I've had issues with it shifting. The guy before me just changed the trans. fluid and filter. So I bought it, started to drive it home, shift were high like 3500 rpm, and I didn't have overdrive half of my trip (aprox. 45 minutes so far). Stoped and got gas, got back on the highway and the car foud overdrive after 62 mph. Made it home, almost 2 hr trip

Next day adjusted the tv cable and got it up-shifting real good. Then while in overdrive, I tried to pass, hit the gas and the downshift sounded if I was grinding gears on a stick shift......let off the gas and it returned to overdrive...if I try again and floor it, it will "grind" for a moment then find 3rd or 2nd gear...also some times I hear it do the same thing when shifting into 3rd when in "D". The other gears shift fine

My question (s) is what might be wrong with it?....is it basicly dead and time for a rebuild or replacement?....and could it be anything simple like a sticky valve?

One more note, the previous guy overfilled the transmission by almost a half gallon. I'm almost certain he wasn't a car guy

Reply #1
Mine shifts almost the same is that, - the grinding, I think when you have high t.v. pressure the weak servo does not like to go into overdrive and or stay in overdrive. The grinding might be the the overdrive band worn out? either way it don't sound good.lol
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
TrickFlow cam 224/232-542/563
Victor Jr. intake CNC ported
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
UPR K-member,A-Arms,and coil-overs
UPR upper/lower control arms
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
(coming soon Tremec 3550)
The Finished Product
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/03grinnie/T-bird/

Reply #2
didnt think of that.....if i can get it to last the next couple weeks, I think i may limp it up to michigan and replace the trans......hopefully it lasts long enough

btw....nice tbird 347thunder

Reply #3
Quote from: dustytheredneck;360455
didnt think of that.....if i can get it to last the next couple weeks, I think i may limp it up to michigan and replace the trans......hopefully it lasts long enough

btw....nice tbird 347thunder

just take it easy, thanks
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
TrickFlow cam 224/232-542/563
Victor Jr. intake CNC ported
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
UPR K-member,A-Arms,and coil-overs
UPR upper/lower control arms
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
(coming soon Tremec 3550)
The Finished Product
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/03grinnie/T-bird/

Reply #4
planned on it.....since it happened, I've been using "D" unless I get up to 70 on the highway....I'm still getting 22+ mpg so untill i get it fixed, I'm happy for the moment

Reply #5
Well I know this is an old thread but. ......

My transition FINALLY went out !!!!!    Almost 2 years to the day (about 12,000 miles)

I left work yesterday, got halfway home and after a stop sign. ....... first gear, second gear, thir---back to second. I tried everything.  I pulled the pan and it was full of dark,  metallic fluid

I spent the rest of yesterday pulling the transission so my cat is taking a little nap the next couple days

Now that I think of it,  I must have done something right to preserve a junk aod for so long.  :)

Reply #6
do the t-5's swap. it bolts in, you can do it in a weekend. better gas mileage and makes the car so much more fun to drive. I did mine for about $500. if you were carefully, you could do it for under $400 pretty easily.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #7
This car I wanna keep an auto......  I also have a '95 thunderbird 4.6 with a 5 speed from a '89 t-bird supercoupe. That ones my toy car

Reply #8
Is it worth a rebuild?  Or can u out sourse an AOD from the jy?

Travis

Reply #9
I have a buddy who parted out a rusted out '93 thunderbird last summer and the transmission is one of the few things he has left. He already knows I want/need it, it just has to wait till Friday when I get paid

Reply #10
When I went to the jy two weeks ago the guy there said he wished he had some more t-5's. He said they sell fast. I'm sure you can find an AOD for little money.