Skip to main content
Topic: Explorer/GT40P JY Dificulty? (Read 2483 times) previous topic - next topic

Explorer/GT40P JY Dificulty?

So I was at the junkyard last week, And unexpectedly stumbled upon an untouched 5.0 Explorer (98 or 99 I think).

I didnt have all my tools and had broken my half inch socket earlier, But managed to get the upper manifold off anyway (wewt!)
And planned on trying to get back and see if I might be able to grab the lower and more important to me~The heads.

So I'm heading back over in the morning, Hoping the heads are still there (Bonus if the lower is also).

But, what difficulties should I expect to encounter on getting the heads out in a junkyard? Any specialty tools I should bring along?
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Reply #1
I used basic tools. The exhaust was a little rough. I had to go through the fender wells to remove some bolts. It'll take some time as there's a lot to remove. If time is no concern, and you have the basic standard and metric sockets, you'll be fine. I always carry a few 1/2 inch drive sockets, socket wrench, and breaker bar just in case for the stubborn head bolts. Pretty straight forward, just need some time. Grab the injectors if you can as well and the throttle body if you didn't already.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
If the exhaust is cut pull the manifolds with the heads and remove them after you get them out. The JYs here remove the cats so you can pull the heads with the manifolds.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #3
Report in with the results of the yard trip.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
Well some things came up, And I probably wont make it over until Monday. :(

Thanks for the info guys!

I had brought the whole upper to the register complete with t-body and got sticker shock~They wanted $45 dollars alone just for the throttle... Needless to say I removed it.
And yes they do cut the cats at this yard.
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~

Reply #5
Are you going to get the parts today? Not even my stuff but I'm excited.

Reply #6
Headed over right now, Hoping theres still some stuff to be gotten.
They dont have any Fox ThunderCats right now which is very odd for this yard. (Even though there online inventory says they have a couple?..) :(

Reply #7
Get the engine parts and smile big.

Reply #8
Back~
Explorer engine was stripped to the block. :(

Didnt come home empty handed though, Found an Aluminum Edelbrock Performer 351-W Intake Mani!
Also picked up some Kicker dash speakers out of fox stang and believe it or not... Fine Bone China Plates in the back of a 1961 Buick Electra, They even let me have it for free. LoL.

Reply #9
Well, there will eventually be another Explorer one day. P heads are cheap everywhere....even Ebay and the Corral classifieds.