Skip to main content
Topic: Aerostar aluminum drive shaft (Read 11183 times) previous topic - next topic

Aerostar aluminum drive shaft

Reply #15
Not to thread-jack, but Vinnie.... do you recall the specifics on that Explorer shaft that's a touch long? What year, transmission, etc?

I have a front yoke that's a bit short to use with a stock 'bird driveshaft with the 4R70W, so that one might work perfectly with no cutting which would save some cash.

BTW, the shafts I have are 48" center to center on the bearing cups.

Reply #16
The Explorer was a 97 with an automatic, two wheel drive. The shaft length I don't recall, I do remember calling around town to find someone to shorten about an inch or two, but nobody could do it here, so I gave it to a friend (who had the work done in Oklahoma City) and has it in his '67 Stang now. I went through the same place about a year later and had them work over the Vic shaft. Beautiful work, and done in less than 24 hours. I shipped it one afternoon through UPS, they got it the next day and called me a couple of hours later saying it was done. Great people, good at what they do, and super fast. My friend has an Explorer shaft at his house he's going to use in his '68 Stang. I can get the length from him before he has it shortened.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #17
I'd be interested in the explorer info to my stock shaft after the swap is now an inch short?
Thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #18
Quote from: vinnietbird;360228
The Explorer was a 97 with an automatic, two wheel drive. I can get the length from him before he has it shortened.

Wow, thanks Vinnie. I wish I still had that good of a memory!

Reply #19
I remember the year because I pulled the heads and intake from it. Got it all for free. Sold the heads and kept the intake.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #20
Quote from: thewestie;360230
I'd be interested in the explorer info to my stock shaft after the swap is now an inch short?
Thanks

If you are talking about the 48" TC shaft onto the 4R70W, no it won't be short IF you use the front yoke with the rubber damper ring. I am using ChuckW swap mounts on a TC crossmember, too. YMMV as to where the final resting place of the tranny ends up.

I bought an Ebay yoke that is shorter than the stocker. I am afraid it won't engage enough of the tranny without having a longer driveshaft. If the Explorer one will work I'll probably try to locate one. I have a good shop here (well, an hour drive away) that did the shaft on the TR7. It's perfect and cost 80 beans to shorten and balance.

Reply #21
(YMMV as to where the final resting place of the tranny ends up?)
I'm using the stock k frame and Chucks mounts with them oriented to move the motor back I've looked at it as well as a couple other guys and the set up should push the motor back. my 5 quart FMS pan hit the sway bar and moved the 4cyl T5 forward and inch. Ive swapped to a TKO 600 and a tremec 31spline yoke and I'm afraid with slicks or DR's I could pull it out of the tranny. 3 miles from my house is a good drive shaft place and after the cars together Ill bring it to them to cut and balanced
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #22
I'm going to my friends speed shop tomorrow to search through a pile of drive shafts for something I can use. He said a lot of them are 4" diameter, but mostly steel. I weighed My stock 5.0 shaft for comparison and it weighed in at 21lbs. I know an increase in diameter will add more rotational inertia that could counteract any savings in weight, so hopefully i can find something in 3". He also said he has a company he deals with that could build me a carbon-fiber shaft for $900-$1000. Supposedly the last car they put one gained a half second in the 1/4 just from the shaft. The carbon-fiber actually loads up and absorbs a lot of the shock that would normally cause damage to the drive train during a hard launch. I wonder if that loading didn't also help get a cleaner launch.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Reply #23
Just get a flux capacitor...
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #24
I looked into it. You'd have to upgrade to a 1.21 gigawatt or better alternator.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Reply #25
Ahh I see....given my pr0neness to lightning, I'd just planned on that, myself.

Say, I'm putting up a clock tower next weekend, anybody wanna help...free lunch and beer lol.

To topic: i have a CVPI shaft to cut down...just have to find time to take it to Kansas City, or box it and ship to Oklahoma.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #26
Beau...check the cost to ship as opposed to the drive and cost of gas and eating. It may be cheaper to ship. IF you need the info to the shop in Oklahoma City (They had mine done and shipped back in less than 24 hours from the time they got it), just let me know. I have it in my notebook.

Reply #27
Well, i got mine done. Ended up going with steel because it was gonna cost too much for aluminum and the guy who makes them told me it wasn't worth it. I ended up paying $200 to have a new one made in 3", including assembly with new bearings.

The guy was an artist with the mig welder. I clear coated it to keep that freshly fabricated look.

Reply #28
where do you get adapter u joints?  ill see if i can find an aluminum shaft in the junkyard...itd be nice to have a part on the car that wont have to be POR'd to not rust
1988 Cougar LS - Cinnabar/Rose Quartz Metallic two tone - 3.8 V6 - Rescue
1988 Cougar LS - Cinnabar/Rose Quartz Metallic two tone - 5.0 V8 - Survivor

Reply #29
Any drive shaft shop AND Autozone carry the adapter u-joints.