Skip to main content
Topic: Serpentine Conversion (Read 1362 times) previous topic - next topic

Serpentine Conversion

I realise this questions been asked around a bit, and i've done a search and read the options.

I've got an 83 heritage, CFI 5.0 with the 3 belt setup.
my ultimate aim is to clean up the engine bay as much as possible.

which will involve converting to a HO engine along with sefi and eec, along with that change i'd like to get rid of the 3 belt setup and install a serpentine setup.

my concern is, there is a lack of mustang parts locally, and the local brackets/accessories will likely foul on various parts of the car.

the logical step is to install what was originally available on the later model SEFI tbirds.

Now i realise in most cases, the water pump needs to be changed, this shouldn't be an concern as water pumps seem to be easily available.
However things like A/C Compressors, Altenator and possibly Power Steering pump arn't so easily available.

So assuming i'm able to get the right brackets, what current accesories can simply have their pulleys changed to suit the new setup?

thanks for your help, i feel like a bit of an idiot having to ask so many questions, but the lack of anything local means trial and error isnt an option
83 Thunderbird Heritage - Right Hand Drive
95 Falcon GLi

Serpentine Conversion

Reply #1
What about brackets and accessories for a 5.0 equipped Ford Falcon?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Serpentine Conversion

Reply #2
What side is your power steering pump on with the conversion to right hand drive? I'm just wondering of they swapped it side to side. If not the brackets from any 5.0 87-93 Mustang, 86-88 T-bird/Cougar, or 86-92 Lincoln Mark VII should fit fine.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Serpentine Conversion

Reply #3
Quote from: V8Demon;359894
What about brackets and accessories for a 5.0 equipped Ford Falcon?

I had considered that, but it places the aircon pump under the power steering pump, and pushes it further out, looks like it would be difficult space wise.
95 Falcon GLi

Serpentine Conversion

Reply #4
Quote from: thunderjet302;359906
What side is your power steering pump on with the conversion to right hand drive? I'm just wondering of they swapped it side to side. If not the brackets from any 5.0 87-93 Mustang, 86-88 T-bird/Cougar, or 86-92 Lincoln Mark VII should fit fine.

the front dress looks like its the same as factory, so i'll try and source brackets from those cars, and get them shipped over.
any idea what current accessories can be used?

can i just swap the pulley on the power steering pump?
will probably delete the smog pump to clean up the engine bay
will swap water pump and pulley
that just leaves me with Altenator and A/C, can the pulleys be swapped on those, and have correct alignment, or should i try source the correct accessories.
95 Falcon GLi

Serpentine Conversion

Reply #5
power steering pump is the same but with different pulley as well as the alternator.  A/C compressor might be a different story.

Serpentine Conversion

Reply #6
Quote from: EFFalcon;359909
I had considered that, but it places the aircon pump under the power steering pump, and pushes it further out, looks like it would be difficult space wise.

If I'm not mistaken isn't this how the MN-12's are set up?  Can someone confirm?

I know a member here used an MN-12 motor in an '83 and used the MN-12 accessories...
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Serpentine Conversion

Reply #7
thanks for the tip, i'll look into it.
95 Falcon GLi

Serpentine Conversion

Reply #8
I just swapped all of the accessories over from an 86 5.0 Mustang straight over including the 5.0 into my 83 Bird and no issues.  This was the brackets, water pump (opposite rotation), A/C compressor, power steering pump, tensioner, and a 130A alternator (modified the passenger side bracket to clear the larger housing.  I left the air pump off and just got a shorter belt.

If you are doing a 351W you only need this bracket with A/C and all of the rest of the items work.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-8511-B351/

or this bracket if you are deleting the A/C:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-8511-A351/

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp