Skip to main content
Topic: 87 3.8 T-bird likes to die. (Read 780 times) previous topic - next topic

87 3.8 T-bird likes to die.

I've been driving around in my 87 bird 3.8 and it died on me a couple of times. Twice going around a right hand corner. One right in town at a stop light with a right hand turn lane. Go around the corner and had a die two different times on me. Then yesterday going down the highway. A person in front of me hit there brakes kinda hard so I got on mine in the T-bird and she died on me. I had to pull over to the side of the road rolling in neutral trying to get her to restart. After I rolled to a complete stop I finally got her to start. Anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this. The first time around the right hand corner I wrote it off as low on gas but the 2nd time I had 1/2 tank and yesterday on the highway I had a little over 1/2 of a tank of gas. Would be nice to get this lined out. Other than that everything seems great so far.

Thanks
Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #1
My 86 would stall, it has the CFI.  As it turned out it was a bad fuel pump.  It would restart and run but would often stall especially when cold.  The last time it stalled was the last time on a tow truck.  It would not restart.  I changed the pump and all was well.  I never checked the fuel pressure but I'm possitive it was low.  It should be 39 psi or so.  If you have the efi engine I'm pretty sure the stock pressure is supposed to be 39 as well.

I don't remember when Ford switched to EFI from the CFI.
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

Reply #2
They went to EFI on the 3.8 in 88 so yes I still have the CFI. I'll take my gauge out there and check the fuel pressure.

Thanks for the idea
Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #3
I had the same problem and my issue turned out to be the distributor was on it's way out.
"I put my foot in my tank and I began to roll." Chuck Berry