Skip to main content
Topic: More small problems to fix, Whine when turning (Read 1209 times) previous topic - next topic

More small problems to fix, Whine when turning

Car is an 88 TC, no mods to back end of it.

I have a whine coming form the back end when making low speed turns... I thought it was a brake dragging but thats all knew and greased slides now. Can it be a axle bearing or something?
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Reply #1
Likely a wheel/axle bearing. Not entirely uncommon in these cars
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
Know what I'm doing this weekend.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Reply #3
If you are going to pull it down and take the axles out might as well get a clutch pack to rebuild the trac-lok if it has not been done.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #4
How involved is that? I planned on running it on the lift and just popping c clips off and taking axles off, kinda new and unknown territory for the trac lock rebuild.

Reply #5
Go here:

http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/gears.html

Chris lives close to Houston, TX and rebuilt my T-5 when I lived in Beaumont and this guy is really good at explaining things.  Scroll down to the "Traction-lok rebuild:" section and its pretty straight forward if you have any mechanical inclination.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp