Skip to main content
Topic: Finally getting something done... updated pics (Read 2689 times) previous topic - next topic

Finally getting something done... updated pics

Got a new 15.1 rack and PS pump installed with new tie rods.  Getting ready to put on my 87+ spindles and brakes.  I noticed my passenger side coil spring was broken at the bottom, about a half a coil.  I am going to cut about 1/4 more off to make it 3/4 then cut the other to match.  Will that drop about 1" -1.5"?  I dont want more than that.

I also got a set of 4 Tokico HP's coming.  Looking foreward to driving it.

Have you guys all need the brake line adapters on the fronts and if so where did you find them?  My car is a 88 Cougar.

Feeling nice to make some progress:D
Mike

Reply #1
I only thought you needed the adapters when converting to the SN95 Mustang brakes.  Mine is an '83 so maybe the fittings on the hard lines are different.  Just take your old caliper line to the parts store and get the left and right lines for an 87-93 Mustang 5.0 car and compare the threads.  If you do not have your old line or don't want it to bleed brake fluid all over the place while you are gone then just have the parts store pull new ones for your car as well as the Mustang lines and then compare.  If you need an adapter then you are right there and they should be able to come up with something.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #2
The TBirds (for whatever reason) use a 3/8-24INF thread on the front hardlines, as opposed to a 7/16-24INF like the Fox Mustangs.  *Most* parts stores should be able to set you up with an adapter fitting  (3/8-24INF Fem to 7/16-24INF Male), so you can use the standard Fox Mustang flex hoses.

I always just swapped to braided stainless lines I made myself, that had the proper fitting on the body end.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #3
Quote from: Chuck W;359286

I always just swapped to braided stainless lines I made myself, that had the proper fitting on the body end.

That would be awesome, but unfortunately....I lack that knowledge, parts, and tools.
Mike

Reply #4
By "made myself", I mean that I bought the -3AN line with a banjo fitting on one end, and a -3AN nut on the other.  Mate that to a  -3AN male to 3/8-24INF female adapter fitting, and bolted them to the car.

It's not rocket science. However, if you *need* DOT approved lines, this isn't the avenue for you.  Never an issue though.  The only thing you need to be mindful of is if you're using bare braided lines (and not those with a coating on them), they need to be tied back from wheels and tires, as they will wear through them. "They" being the lines and "them" being the wheels and tires.

Reply #5
If you want SS braided lines then just order the 693000 kit from Russell and use a Weatherhead 7828 fitting on the passenger side.  This is a 1/4 to 3/16 adapter and most NAPA and O'Reilly part stores carry them.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-693000/SuggestedParts/?prefilter=1

You may be able to call Russell and see if they offer just the fronts as it would cost less.  Then again, the stock Mustang lines and the adapter worked for years on my car with the SVO calipers and MM steel bushings.

Darren

Reply #6
That line kit isn't for the 87+ calipers, it's for the earlier ones.

Reply #7
Just waiting on my struts now.

I cut 3/4 of a coil off the springs.  It changed a inch and 3/8 on the free height.  I assume that will translate pretty close when loaded?
Mike

Reply #8
Starting the job pic
Mike

Reply #9
Chuck, nice catch as its been a looong time since I have messed with the older calipers.  The 87-93 calipers have the block style banjo fittings on the ends and not the threaded ends so sorry for the confusion there.  This is the Russell kit for the banjo style 87-93 5.0 mustangs (not sure if they will work on the 87-88 TC but I would think so):

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-693010/?rtype=10

You will need a 3/8-24 (T-Bird hard line) female to a 7/16-24 (Mustang soft line) male inverted flare adapter.  This should be a Weatherhead 7818 fitting that most parts stores carry.  Again, you can go to a parts store and get a 87-93 5.0 Mustang front soft line, a short stick of 3/16" brake line with a 3/8-24 fitting, and the 7818 adapter and see if this will allow all of this to be put together.

Hopefully I did not screw it up again:hick:

Darren

Reply #11
I have had one on my 93 Coupe for over 8 years with my SN95 brake conversion and it gets road raced once in a blue moon and never a problem.

Darren

Reply #12
Spindles in, struts in, steering in, toe is "ballpark" set.  Should get the calipers and lines in today and bled.  Should be about ready to go.:D:D

Alot of waiting on parts, etc.  I really think it will be worth it....Hopeing.....:beatyoass:

BTW the coil spring install kinda sucked, hopefully the ride and height will be nice.  I dont want to do that again.
Mike

Reply #13
Update on the progress.  The car sits really nice just a tad lower than stock, its kinda hard to tell on the pics. Plus my tires are pretty low on tread.  I didnt want it really low.  I have a suspension noise I cant track down, sounds like something loose when hitting a bump with the front or rear tires.  Any input I will listen. 

I know my exhaust is rotted and shot on one side.  I am hoping that is it, but I didnt have the noise before my front end overhaul.

BTW, the Tokico shock/struts handle and ride great.  I couldnt be happier with that choice, glad I ponied up the cash instead of the Monroe's
Mike

Reply #14
My garage "helper" for the evening.  My black lab puppy Bella.  3 Months old.  Thought my garage "bitch" might ruffle some feathers.
Mike