Skip to main content
Topic: timing belt tensioner problem (Read 643 times) previous topic - next topic

timing belt tensioner problem

Im not getting enough tension on the timing belt to where i can slide the belt on the tensioner pulley. The plate has that bolt hole that allows it to pivot back and forth when putting on the belt, the bolt has and gap above it when the belt is on but when the belt is off, the gap below it. I hope that makes sense. My friend and i (he also has a turbo coupe that he has done this stuff on) cant remember if the gap should be above or below it the bolt.
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

Reply #1
Did you loosen the pivot bolt too? You have to loosen both bolts to adjust the timing bolt.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #2
yep everything is loose. once i have the pivot bolt bolted down i cant slide the belt around anymore but now my question is where should that pivot gap be, above or below the bolt.

BTW, i have a HO computer and HO cam i can sell you if you want them.
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

Reply #3
Thanks bro, but I already have the HO cam and computer. I got the computer for $25 from a local guy and my freind gave me an HO cam out of his motor cause he's running the B cam.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #4
Oh alright cool man, you should talk to vinnie about getting the explorer 60mm TB to fit up also. I actually just sent him one a bit ago, maybe he still has it and could convert it for ya.

Reply #5
Also, are you running speed density or MAF? i have a 75mm trickflow meter calibrated for 19# injectors

Reply #6
Im running a DA1.

Reply #7
The tensioner's natural tendency is to be sprung, pushing against the belt. When you pry the tensioner open, pushing the pulley to the left, you tighten the hold-down to keep it open. Put the belt on, and loosen the hold down ant it springs back into place.

That slotted hole would show on the bottom when it's sprung, and on the top when it's open. You might check your belt routing if it's not fitting. And make sure the part store gave you the correct new one. ROuting should look like this:

CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7